What happen to Media Connect? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Vail UI looks like XP and tastes like Win 2008 Server :p ... i was playing with a trial version of WHS v1. and I was able to use the Media Connect to share and stream BluRay folder and ISO a folder to my ASUS O'Play. Today I downloaded the WHS v2 RC and was not able to find Media Connect anywhere. 

My ASUS media player can play a BluRay folder or BluRay ISO file. With the new WHS v2, what or how can I make it to work the same as WHS v1 with Media Connect?

Thank you. 

Sunday, March 27, 2011 12:59 AM

All replies

• On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:59:46 +0000, Chlo? wrote:

i was playing with a trial version of WHS v1. and I was able to use the Media Connect to share and stream BluRay folder and ISO a folder to my ASUS O'Play. Today I downloaded the WHS v2 RC and was not able to find Media Connect anywhere.?

My ASUS media player can play a BluRay folder or BluRay ISO file. With the new WHS v2, what or how can I make it to work the same as WHS v1 with Media Connect?

WHS 2011 has a compatible service called Windows Media Player Network
    Sharing Service
    . You need to make sure that it is enabled:

1. Open the Dashboard.
    2. On the Home Page, click Configure media settings.
    3. Make sure that the Media server is: On.
    4. Optionally you can adjust the Video streaming quality and the Media
    library settings.

FWIW - to stream to an O!Play, you don't need to use UPnP. The O!Play can
    stream directly from pretty much any format, including from an ISO by
    connecting to a network share on the WHS box. You actually are able to
    stream more formats this way as the decoding is done on the O!Play rather
    than on the WHS box.
    I have 2 O!Plays and this is the way I do it, I never both with UPnP for my
    O!Play.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Old programmers never die; they just branch to a new address.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Paul,

thank you for replying. but that does not work ...

From the Oplay.

--> UNPN --> Movies --> here it shows all the files. it doesn't show the whole movie folder. therefore it doesn't work for me. even when ISO, it shows all files in the ISO.

Windows Home Server v1, with the Media Connect, I'm able to created a shared folder and using the OPLAY to play the whole movie folder.

FWIW - to stream to an O!Play, you don't need to use UPnP. The O!Play can
    stream directly from pretty much any format, including from an ISO by
    connecting to a network share on the WHS box.

How do you access the shared folder from the WHS v2 with the OPLAY? I can't see it when i go to Movies --> Network --> ... it doesn't show the WHS server name.???

thank you.

Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:30 AM
  • Last week, I re-downloaded the final released version of WHS v2 (30 days trial). Open the dash board and added my movies shared folder. I use total media 5 on my laptop with Wireless N and plays the whole folder. It works!!! I encountered only two or three hick-ups during the movie and the rest of the movie is smooth. Nice... I like. I also set the movie stream quality to the highest.

Alice in Wonder - Blu Ray movie.

Monday, April 25, 2011 9:02 PM