How to make a complete system restore on WHS2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi how do i make a full system restore of a WHS2011 when i have a c: drive failure. Do i need to reinstal the OS or can i recovere it from the backup drive? If i need to do a complete reinstalation of the OS what''s the point in backing it up. (Sorry for my bad English) :)
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• Windows 7, and windows server 2008 r2 both offer full image backup.  Thus, WHS 2011 also has this feature.
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:36 PM

All replies

• >>Hi how do i make a full system restore of a WHS2011 when i have a c: drive failure. Do i need to reinstal the OS or can i recovere it from the backup drive? If i need to do a complete reinstalation of the OS what''s the point in backing it up. (Sorry for my bad English) :)
    ================
    Marc:

Page 12 of the Getting Started Guide; Home Server Backup and Restore

"Windows Home Server 2011 helps you back up its Shared Folders to external drives. This feature gives you the ability to take your files offsite and easily restore them later, so they are stored at an alternate location in case of fire damage, theft, or other catastrophe to your primary computer. In case of accidental data loss, you can simply restore a file from your home server backup. You can add a hard disk drive, either internally or externally to the device, and designate it as a backup destination as opposed to server storage. Windows Home Server 2011 will then use this drive to back up all the data stored on the server. Using multiple external drives makes it easy to rotate your backups offsite, to maximize availability of backups in case of theft, fire, flood, and other disasters in relation to your primary computer."

So, unless you followed these instructions, you may be out of luck.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret
    Please Don't Text and Drive
    My Grand Kids May be in Your Path

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:35 PM
  • The server backup does not backup the operating system, it just makes backing up your folders easier.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:26 PM
  • >>The server backup does not backup the operating system, it just makes backing up your folders easier.
    ======
    Oh. Guess I need to read some more.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Actually, server backup in Windows Home Server 2011 does indeed backup your OS.  It's also an automatic backup as opposed to a manual one, like Windows Home Server V1.

Its pretty slick.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:33 AM
  • So knowing that, to do a complete server restore do you use the restore disk or the OS disk for this? I will be doing this testing and want to know what the alternatives are before starting.

--
    Don
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:56 AM
  • >>Actually, server backup in Windows Home Server 2011 does indeed backup your OS.  It's also an automatic backup as opposed to a manual one, like Windows Home Server V1.
    ========
    OK, where are the 'structions, please. :) Going back to what I posted, that doesn't seem to be what's needed.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:11 AM
  • 1) Start/All Programs/Maintenance/Create a System Repair Disk

2) Boot from System Repair Disk

3) Select restore your computer from a system image you created earlier.

I filed a bug report titled System Repair Images are missing. Only the most current system image was available and the time was wrong. I haven't tried to restore the image.

Regards,

Technogod

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Some better instructions would be in need, because as far as I know all features of Home Server 2011 should be accessible from the whs interface..  not having to go into the system desktop and run something like that.  Makes it seem more of a Server 2008 feature.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Ok Jonas, but where can i find the "How to restore your Server agter crash on the systemdisk "" i just want to test it.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:49 AM
  • I was hopefull whith you answer. But in my homeserver there is no CD/DVD drive. There usely isn''t in a WHS.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:53 AM
  • 1) Start/All Programs/Maintenance/Create a System Repair Disk

2) Boot from System Repair Disk

3) Select restore your computer from a system image you created earlier.

I filed a bug report titled System Repair Images are missing. Only the most current system image was available and the time was wrong. I haven't tried to restore the image.

Regards,

Technogod

As i told before there is no CD/DVD drive in my WHS2011. Normaly there is no CD/DVD drive in a WHS. So i tried to make a virtual drive whit PowerISO but that drive isn''t reconiced in the program.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:16 AM
  • >>I was hopefull whith you answer. But in my homeserver there is no CD/DVD drive. There usely isn''t in a WHS.
    ==========

And that's why I build my own systems! And . . . use an older IDE drive to keep my SATA connections open for hard drives. I will still need to get a SATA card to put inside the server.

I wonder if this will work with a USB drive?

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:16 PM
  • >>I was hopefull whith you answer. But in my homeserver there is no CD/DVD drive. There usely isn''t in a WHS.
    ==========

And that's why I build my own systems! And . . . use an older IDE drive to keep my SATA connections open for hard drives. I will still need to get a SATA card to put inside the server.

I wonder if this will work with a USB drive?

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

Nancy Ward

OK, but CD/DVD is old school. It should be possible to use a usb drive or you shoul be able to make an .iso image
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 4:41 PM
  •  Go here download this nifty tool get an 8 gig USB drive load the .iso onto the usb drive, use your boot menu to allow booting from the usb drive.

http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Hey Don,

You actually can use the OS disk for this, if you have a keyboard, monitor and mouse attached to your Windows Home Server 2011 box.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights. Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:26 PM
  • The only instructions I could find were on the online help site.  Not as complete as I would like to see, but a good starting point.

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/vail/server-backup-support-2.aspx

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/vail/develop-backup-plan-2.aspx?ref=search

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/vail/backup-best-practices-2.aspx?ref=search

Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:29 PM
  • Hey Marc,

If you boot off your DVD or USB Thumbdrive you should be offered the option to start a new installation or repair in existing installation.  If you choose Repair, it will kick off the server recovery process.

Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:36 PM
  • >>The only instructions I could find were on the online help site.  Not as complete as I would like to see, but a good starting point.
    =======

Thanks, Jonas. I'll give those a looksee.

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:21 AM
  • Windows 7, and windows server 2008 r2 both offer full image backup.  Thus, WHS 2011 also has this feature.
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Hey Marc,

If you boot off your DVD or USB Thumbdrive you should be offered the option to start a new installation or repair in existing installation.  If you choose Repair, it will kick off the server recovery process.

Windows Home Server
    THX Jonas, i will try it this weekend. I let you all know how it ended. Does anybody know if you can make a recovery USBstick in the final version.?
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:22 PM