Onecare did not find ANY errors - computer performance is terrible!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Onecare support, I've got a fresh backup but I've updated and ran all the tests that OneCare has to offer and the performance is terrible!  .....my computer still works but runs very very slow.  I did run a Registry Optimizer from Zoombli.com -- Zoombli said I had 1200 errors and it fixed all the problems but my performance issues remain. 

I need to know what to do next.

I am thinking about blowing away the entire OS and start fresh and then do a backup restore from OneCare but this makes me very nervous!  ... will it work? it is a fresh backup but I have never had to do a restore from Onecare.  Will it work perfectly or am I going to be very upset that I did this.

Please help.  Also can you call me?  303 771 8734  thx john

Sunday, March 9, 2008 9:00 PM

Answers

• John, before blowing away the OS and relying on a single backup from OneCare, I would recommend that you check to make sure that you are not running any conflicting programs with OneCare. Did performance go bad after you installed OneCare? If so, it likely means that something is conflicting with it.

On the other hand, if you are up to it, go ahead and start fresh. I would *not* rely on a single backup of your critical data, though. I would recommend that you copy your critical data to an external disk, another PC over the network, or burn the files manually to CD/DVD. The OneCare backup is reliable, but in the event of a problem, I would want to have an alternative for restore.

If you wish to have some help from support to review your system performance and insure that you are not running conflicting software, contact them - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:06 PM