Server crash, how do I move to new server and keeping all data? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased WHS from new egg and installed it on an old Compaq computer. It has worked fine fof the past year. However, just recently the Compaq computer gave out because of a power and overheat sensor issue. So I have decided to purchase the HP MediaSmart EX475 Server to replace it.

What is the best way to switch to a new computer and keep all my data on the hard drives (external and internal) from the old computer?

Thanks,

Tom Green
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:32 PM

Answers

• Tom,

In essence, you can't, at least not directly.

Your best option is to setup your new server and get it working correctly first. Then take one of your 'old' drives, attach it to the server, but DO NOT add it to the server storage pool. You can then copy files from the old shared folders to your new shared folders. Once that is done, you can then add that dive to the storage pool, and repeat with your other drives.

Colin

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:46 PM
  • thank you very much. It will be time consuming but if I have to do it, so be it.

Tom
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:56 PM

All replies

• Tom,

In essence, you can't, at least not directly.

Your best option is to setup your new server and get it working correctly first. Then take one of your 'old' drives, attach it to the server, but DO NOT add it to the server storage pool. You can then copy files from the old shared folders to your new shared folders. Once that is done, you can then add that dive to the storage pool, and repeat with your other drives.

Colin

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:46 PM
  • thank you very much. It will be time consuming but if I have to do it, so be it.

Tom
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:56 PM
  • Tom,

Good luck. If you have a reasonable amount of data to transfer and you have the available disks, it would be worthwhile fitting an extra disk in the 'new' server prior to doing anything about data transfer.

Not that it will help you now, but the new Power Pack, when it's released, includes the option to backup your shared folders to another hard drive in your computer- maybe a removable one.

Colin

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:20 PM
  • I have the same issue and have a couple of a follow-up questions.

1) When I set up the new server, can i use the same server/site name? e.g. "familyname" or do I i need to pick a new name? e.g. "familyname2"

2) My server has not yet crashed (just slow, loud). Will i have an easier time transferring files? Different method?

3) Does the aforementioned method work for the files that WHS has stored on the system drive?

Thanks in advance!

NewGuy2008 

Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:03 AM
  • Hi,

If you have both servers active at the same time, you will have to have two different names, but after completion, you could always rename the new server to the old name.

Then, I would just Remote into a server, maybe the new one, and copy the files from it's shared folders on it's desktop, to the shared folders on your other server.

As far as your 20GB system drive is concerned, there will be no user data stored there, or at least, there shouldn't be! The only info there should be the the WHS software.

Just note that on your new server you will have to reconnect all your Clients and install any Add-Ins etc., you may have been using on the old server.

If you have a spare disk you can use, then in the WHS documentation, (Technical brief for Backup and Restore), there is a manual method for copying off your backup database which might be useful if you wanted to keep a copy for some reason.

Colin

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:33 AM
  •  

Colin:

Thanks for the assurances. Huge help.  I'll give it a whirl when I plunk down the cash for a new box.

On the system drive.....i was getting an error message b/c the drive was within 5GB of capacity (70GB). I slapped an old 250GB drive into a USB case, rebalanced and the issue has gone away. Would WHS place data on the system drive if there isn't enough overall capacity? If the low-end HP MediaSmart starts with one 500GB drive i would assume data and system files are on that drive. 

Mucho gracias.

NewGuy2008

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:12 AM
  • Yes, Windows Home Server will use the system drive for file and backup storage if the other drives are too full. And with only one drive, everything must, obviously, be on that drive.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 11:42 AM
  • Not to hijack this thread, but it is a related question.  If another drive is added will the server rebalance the data on the system drive to the new drive to keep just the OS files on the system drive or is it that once it is there, it stays there? 

Friday, July 18, 2008 12:52 PM
  •  clc4912 wrote:
    Not to hijack this thread, but it is a related question.  If another drive is added will the server rebalance the data on the system drive to the new drive to keep just the OS files on the system drive or is it that once it is there, it stays there? 

In RTM, it will automatically migrate the data in your network shares to the new drive (but, as I recall, not any part of the backup database).

In PP1, it will not migrate any data from the drive (at least, not for now).  For details, please read my post, Drive Extender Not Migrating Data (from PP1 beta forum).

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:11 PM