OCS 2007 Capacity Planning RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Could anybody tell me how the capacity planning for OCS 2007 Standard Server
    IM & Presence with Audio and Video --- 1500 users (Dispersed geographically)
    Web Conference - mix of large and small conferences 
                                Large conference may not exceed 50 users
                                Concurrent users might be not more than 100
    Audio/Video - Not more than 50 users

we are looking at the virtualization of these servers.

Anybody could come out with a rough sketch would be of great help.

Regards,
    Ajay
    Monday, February 23, 2009 3:58 AM

All replies

• here you go 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=06793661-CD69-4490-BB4B-E97DD271209D&displaylang=en

You can check how many server,topology and addtional things required.

HCL OCS Team
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:19 PM
  • The Microsoft Planning Tool is a good start, but one of the major deficiencies in it for situations that are geographically dispersed is that wherever you enter a geographic site, it automatically assumes a new pool should go there (or at least it did when I used the tool).

The decision to deploy a new pool in a geogrphic area really boils down to 3 variables in my experience:
    - number of users in geographic area
    - bandwidth from the geographic area to what would be the home pool in another geographic area
    - number of users and frequency of Audio/Video and Live Meeting feature usage in the area

The Microsoft OCS Planning Guide provides some guidance on this. If you are still unsure, you could always start with one Standard server, and deploy a new pool later if necessary.

Hope that helps,
    Curtis
    www.insideocs.com

Monday, February 23, 2009 7:50 PM