Initial client backup slow / sputters RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed WHS 2011.  Attached a client computer and started a backup.  The backup has gone >24 hours and I'm still at only 21% complete of 1.5TB.  Checking network performance, while it occasionally got up to 130Mb/sec transfer, for much of the time it's closer to 0.  If it was consistently at 130Mb/sec, it would take about 32 hours to complete. I'm not even close to that and am currently looking at a minimum of a week to back up.

Network is GigE.  Copying a large (1.5GB) file from the same client to the Docs folder on WHS runs at 700Gb/sec while Backup is running (and apparently taking up no bandwidth).

Expected?  If not, suggestions for debugging?

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:32 AM

All replies

• Off the top of my head:

• Is your network really running at 1 Gb/s?
    • Are any of the disks in the client running in PIO mode? (Search Microsoft support for instructions on getting them out of PIO mode if any are.)
    • Try running chkdsk /r on all the disks in the client.

And realize that 1.5 TB is a lot of data to back up, though I think it's going slower than it should.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:34 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  Answers:

I verified the GigE (1 Gb/sec) just now by coping a 4GB file from the same client to the Documents folder on the Server.  It took 75 seconds which = 53 MBytes/sec = 430-530 MBits/sec on average.  Watching the network meter, the performance was fairly sustained around that level (not spikey, growing, or shrinking).  Therefore I believe it's not a network bottleneck between the client and server.  At that rate, it should be done in about 8 hours.

I looked through the server and client.  All disks are visible on ATA Channels and show "Ultra DMA Mode 6".  On the client, however, I only see my CD drive on ATA Channel 0.  I also see an "Intel 82801G Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF".  I am unable to find the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller" for my other drives, although they do show up under "Disk  drives" in Device Manager and in "Disk Management" in storage.  Not quite sure what to make of that.  Suggestions?

I'll run chckdsk /r later today.

Thanks again for the reply.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:30 PM