Mt Laptop's CD Key Sticker is Blurred RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I wanna Re-install my Windows 7 Home Premium but, Of course I'll need the CD Key, this is a Laptop an Acer

and The Sticker wich is under the laptop is Blurred and I can only see some of the Digits.

What Could I Do to have it back? in My Computer's Properties is says the Code but its not the same as the Sticker.

PS: I dont know if Im posting it in the Right Area

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:49 PM

Answers

• Hello Blared,

You wrote, "Hi, I wanna Re-install my Windows 7 Home Premium but, Of course I'll need the CD Key,..."

Not necessarily.  Most major manufacturers use the OEM SLP licensing system that LVTravel described to you, and quite often using the manufacturer-supplied Recovery procedure to reimage Windows onto the computer does not require inputting the product key on the CoA.

The best way to find out whether this is the case for your particular model of Acer is to visit the support pages for your model of Acer and search for that info, or contact and ask Acer Tech support.  If it turns out that you can run the recovery process without inputting the product key on the CoA, so much the better.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:21 PM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hi, I wanna Re-install my Windows 7 Home Premium but, Of course I'll need the CD Key, this is a Laptop an Acer

and The Sticker wich is under the laptop is Blurred and I can only see some of the Digits.

What Could I Do to have it back? in My Computer's Properties is says the Code but its not the same as the Sticker.

PS: I dont know if Im posting it in the Right Area

A quick lesson as to why the code is not the same:

The following was posted previously by Darin Smith MS (MSFT) and can probably answer the reason for the mismatched code better than I could:

"Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)   OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)    COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom or sometimes in a laptop's battery compartment) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (such as this case when the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone.

(Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer If you have lost or can not read the COA sticker, please see support doc KB811224 "How to identify, locate, and replace a product keyhttp://support.microsoft. com/kb/811224) "

The issue you are having is that you can't read the COA SLP (or Product Key) that you would need to activate the installation if the computer didn't read the bios OEM bios flag.  If you reinstall from the original install media (recovery partition) you should not have to have the COA product key. 

What you should do, however, is to contact Acer and find out how to get another COA key and/or read the KB article listed above.  If you can't get the COA key then do not update the computer's bios as this will probably trigger a misread of the OEM bios flag and lead to a non-genuine issue where you would need the COA sticker key to get genuine.

• Unmarked as answer by Blared Friday, August 13, 2010 1:51 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Hello Blared,

You wrote, "Hi, I wanna Re-install my Windows 7 Home Premium but, Of course I'll need the CD Key,..."

Not necessarily.  Most major manufacturers use the OEM SLP licensing system that LVTravel described to you, and quite often using the manufacturer-supplied Recovery procedure to reimage Windows onto the computer does not require inputting the product key on the CoA.

The best way to find out whether this is the case for your particular model of Acer is to visit the support pages for your model of Acer and search for that info, or contact and ask Acer Tech support.  If it turns out that you can run the recovery process without inputting the product key on the CoA, so much the better.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:11 AM
  • You can also restore OEM BIOS-locked SLP without the original media. It's a little trickier but it is certainly possible and IMO avoids all the hassles of the activation and "genuine advantage" BS system. You need to extract the SLP product key from your current Windows install and also the SLP certificate (.xrm-ms file extension, probably called acer.xrm-ms)

Once you reinstall Windows you use the tool built into windows, slmgr.vbs to reinstall the certificate, product key and then rearm windows activation and reboot. Open an ADMINISTRATOR command prompt and type slmgr.vbs and it will give you the usage. An advantage to this is that no internet connection or telephone is needed for windows to report "active and genuine)

Saturday, August 14, 2010 4:20 AM