Reverse postal code lookup RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please help a layman out? :)

Wold like to have county, city and state auto populate upon entry of zip code. I did a search online and found some international add-ons.

Can someone please point me to potential solutions, both free and paid, for this type of functionality?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, July 25, 2011 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I can understand that you have less or no knowledge regarding the Scripting but this is not possible without writing the JScript or else you can create a workflow that will update record with the Account entity Country, City and State based on Lookup Zip code but this will not be realtime and you may have to save record and after that fields will be updated. FOllow the steps to create a new workflow (replace step 4):

1. Go to Settings-> Process Center->Processes and click on new button

2. In Entity list select Account

3. In Category list select Workflow, type name and click ok

4. In Process configuraiton screen, click on Scope list and select "Organization" and in Starts When select Record is created and Records fields change (click on Select button and Select Zip Code look field)

5. Click on Add Step and click and Add Update Record step, in Update list Select Account and click on Set Properties button

6. Click on Country Field in Form and then in Form Assistant Look for Select Zip Code and in Field Select Country

7. Repeat Step 6 for State and City fields

8. Save Workflow and Activate it

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Follow the steps:

1. Create the Zip Code Entity (Settings->Customizations->Customize the System->Entities->New) which can contain (Country, City, State fields, if you will create country, city, state new fields then new lookup fields will not be used by Outlook)

2. Create Zip Code Entity 1:N relationhip (Settings->Customizations->Customize the System->Entities-> Zip Code->1:N Relationship, click on new button and select Account in drop down) with entity (i.e. Account) where you want to select the Zip Code lookup

3. Place Zip Code lookup field on Account Entity Form (Settings->Customizations->Customize the System->Entities-> Account->Form->Main, Drag the new lookup field Zip Code on form, save form and then ublish entity)

4. On Zip Code lookup On Change event write JScript SOAP SDK retrieve code (Can reffer the sample code: http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com/2011/06/microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011-retrieve.html) to retrieve fields Country, City, State fields from the Zip Code entity and assign them to Account entity fields

5. Publish Entity Customizations

Jehanzeb Javeed

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:32 PM
  • I thought I wrote that I was a layman. :)

Steps 1-3 are very easy to understand. Step 4 suggests writing code, which I have no experience with or knowledge of. I was hoping, and expecting, that this functionality is something that would be common sense and already available (actually quite surprised that it is not in the base code of the solution). 

Can anyone point to the code that Jehanzeb refers to?

Monday, July 25, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

I can understand that you have less or no knowledge regarding the Scripting but this is not possible without writing the JScript or else you can create a workflow that will update record with the Account entity Country, City and State based on Lookup Zip code but this will not be realtime and you may have to save record and after that fields will be updated. FOllow the steps to create a new workflow (replace step 4):

1. Go to Settings-> Process Center->Processes and click on new button

2. In Entity list select Account

3. In Category list select Workflow, type name and click ok

4. In Process configuraiton screen, click on Scope list and select "Organization" and in Starts When select Record is created and Records fields change (click on Select button and Select Zip Code look field)

5. Click on Add Step and click and Add Update Record step, in Update list Select Account and click on Set Properties button

6. Click on Country Field in Form and then in Form Assistant Look for Select Zip Code and in Field Select Country

7. Repeat Step 6 for State and City fields

8. Save Workflow and Activate it

Jehanzeb Javeed

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:06 PM