Use WHS to run CCTV DVR/Software RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm planning installation of security cameras around my home, and intend to use pc-based hardware ... and software .
    I'm considering my options in hardware to run on.  As  WHS is my 'home server'- that can do all the great things it does-- it seems logical that it be the machine to do with. 
    So, few questions, and likely discussions...

If one could, and did.. would it violate TOS of WHS?

I can't be the first to seek this functionality (I've searched the forums and have found nothing on the topic)  but has anyone else dabbled in doing this, and have any experiences to share?

I'm finding the choices of security dvr software/apps is limited.  And the few I've found seem rather archaic, not user-friendly, and lacking in support, community or even who authored them.  That said though, the one "SuperDvr" does work ok, but it will only run on XP. 

Ideally, I would like to WHS box to contain the CCTV pci card(s).  The software would run as a service and would be controllable, viewable, from networked pc's, or remotely.. and WHS would archive the video streams 24/7.

Thanks ahead for any help, comments... suggestions.

David

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:59 PM

All replies

• It won't violate the EULA, as long as you don't activate any additional server roles (something you shouldn't need to do). However, it is going to be unsupported, in the sense that there's nothing built into the product for the purpose you have in mind.

In my opinion, though, you'd be better off to use cameras that can access your server's shares to store a stream of images, rather than set up your server as a CCTV DVR. As you've noticed, most of the software available for CCTV security is, umm, not very user friendly. Though to be honest, you're unlikely to need to use it unless you have a break-in.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:25 PM
  • It'd be great if someone developed an add-in to manage, view archived video for security systems/cameras.

If anyone is aware of any decent CCTV/Security Sys software.. I'd like to hear about it.  The 2 that I am aware of are .. well, seem as though they were coded in the 90's, somewhere english is a second language.

Thanks
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Try DV Scheduler, may be able to meet your needs

Ben
    Ben Ogilvie
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:41 PM
  • I use Netcam Watcher from www.beausoft.com It is motion sensitive, records to my WHS shares, deletes old recordings after a set period and comes with a great piece of software to manage it "Always Up".  This installs the program as a service, minimises and makes the camera active.  It also sanity checks the program every 60 seconds and restarts it if it hangs.  I also use Always Up to manage speedfan and PS3mediaserver
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Thanks for that info Ben.

I think that Netcam Watcher looks promising. 

Pigsy.. Could you tell me what hardware you're using?  Cams?  Cards?

Can and how do you monitor, or view on your network?

Thanks!

EDIT:  uh.. wow.  Netcam Watcher will not be a candidate-- rates based on number of cameras.. too expensive for me!
    Monday, October 12, 2009 2:43 PM