Firefox WGA fyi: do not run the Genuine_Check from the Firefox downloads page-- RRS feed

• General discussion

• Firefox WGA fyi: do not run the Genuine_Check program from the Firefox downloads page--it fails miserably (however, it did work from Windows Explorer.)

--pjm

Thursday, June 1, 2006 1:39 AM

All replies

• PJM:

Can you walk me through the issue? We've tested the firefox engine very extensively and are very interested in figuring out whats going on.

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 1, 2006 2:37 AM
  • I had few problems with checks etc, on Firefox until WGA did an auto update of itself yesterday.   After that it has spit the dummy on different occasions.   Just as a matter of interest I clicked on "Purchase a Genuine Windows Licence".   I was told that my browser was not configured to run the components or scripts......    I used the link to download a file "legitcheck" which did absolutely nothing when opened.    Seems like Microsoft are still really only interested in people who run its' useless IE browser.   One couldn't even purchase a "genuine" replacement with Firefox even if one really wanted to do so.
    Thursday, June 1, 2006 9:58 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

PJM:

Can you walk me through the issue? We've tested the firefox engine very extensively and are very interested in figuring out whats going on.

Thanks,

-Phil Liu

Phil,

Same problem on Firefox for me. I click on Validate button, download run the install and Firefox hangs. No problem with IE. This is on my desktop. Validation is fine as well

Curiously, Firefox works OK on my laptop - but I can't validate (as you know) on either FF or IE6

Bernie
    Friday, June 2, 2006 1:01 PM
  • Firstly, read my post of 07-03-2006 [ and subsequent replies] in which I laid out all the problems to which  I have been subjected.  IE6 is and always has been, a load of rubbish which is why  most intelligent people don't and won't use it!    As a result of all of MS BS I have given up and now have no intention of purchasing XP again since I feel that I have spent enough following the fruitless MS excercise!    Of course I would "get genuine" but only in the event of someone actually  giving me a genuine CD.
    Incidentally the legitcheck.htm file will only open in something like Notepad - it sure as hell won't open with anything else.  Naturally, since the legitcheck file is promulgated by MS, it is not surprising that it is so useless!
    Monday, July 10, 2006 6:55 AM