Turning a WHS off at set time? RRS feed

• Question

• I want my WHS to turn off at around midnight, the BIOS is set so it comes on at 07:00.

I'm told (on Usenet) that the LightsOut Add-In is what I need. Opinions?

Friday, December 5, 2008 6:01 PM

Answers

• There are a few options. You can configure your server to shut down or enter a power saving state manually, using command line utilities like shutdown.exe or psshutdown.exe (the latter is part of the SysInternals suite of tools and is much more robust and full-featured). Or you can use an add-in like Lights-Out. Personally I would use the latter if I felt a need to implement additional power savings.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Hi Nigel,
    The Add-In Lights Out works well on my Scaleo.
    Instead of disabling the SBCore Service, which is involved with some hassles, there is also a more simple way to do it:
    • Login to the server locally or via Remote Desktop.
    • Open Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
    • Find the SBCore service and doubleclick it.
    • On the Log On tab click on the only hardware profile, which is listed here.
    • Click Disable and then click OK.
    • Reboot.
    Since this method is not invoking editing the registry and can easy be undone, if necessary, it is my preferred method.
    But don't forget, as any change you do to the basic configuration, this method is not supported and can have unpleasant side effects in certain configurations or after future updates of Windows Home Server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 5, 2008 7:52 PM

All replies

• There are a few options. You can configure your server to shut down or enter a power saving state manually, using command line utilities like shutdown.exe or psshutdown.exe (the latter is part of the SysInternals suite of tools and is much more robust and full-featured). Or you can use an add-in like Lights-Out. Personally I would use the latter if I felt a need to implement additional power savings.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 6:20 PM

• Schedule a task to run shutdown.exe (or the exe Ken suggested).  Use the 'scheduled tasks' option in the Control Panel to schedule a task.  If you plan on entering hibernate or sleep states you'll need to disable the SBS Core service to prevent the machine from powering back up.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Hi Nigel,
    The Add-In Lights Out works well on my Scaleo.
    Instead of disabling the SBCore Service, which is involved with some hassles, there is also a more simple way to do it:
    • Login to the server locally or via Remote Desktop.
    • Open Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
    • Find the SBCore service and doubleclick it.
    • On the Log On tab click on the only hardware profile, which is listed here.
    • Click Disable and then click OK.
    • Reboot.
    Since this method is not invoking editing the registry and can easy be undone, if necessary, it is my preferred method.
    But don't forget, as any change you do to the basic configuration, this method is not supported and can have unpleasant side effects in certain configurations or after future updates of Windows Home Server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, December 5, 2008 7:52 PM
  • For basic turn on/off (Hibernate) operation, the WHS Add-Inn "PowerSwitch" works well for me. For more info re "PowerSwitch" search Google, etc. or click here: http://mswhs.com/2008/02/28/add-in-powerswitch/.

Dave
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 4:01 AM