27 hours and counting to remove 500GB hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I understand it takes "a long time" to remove a hard drive from Windows Home Server.  I went through the correct procedure and have now been waiting nearly 27 hours.  The progress bar is moving and my hard drive light on the server is active.
    Is this reasonable?  even if the drive itself was full?  I have over 3 TB available space in my server.
    Any thoughts wouldd be appreciated.
    Barry
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:59 PM

All replies

• I removed all Share duplications from the drive and my 500GB took a few hours, I think less than 4, to remove from WHS.
    http://www.wwiivehicles.com
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:50 AM
  • Is this reasonable?  even if the drive itself was full?  I have over 3 TB available space in my server.
    Removing a drive can take a long time. 27 hours is a lot. But as long as you as there is drive activity and/or progress: wait patiently for WHS to finish its job...

My thoughts:
    Maybe the drive has trouble reading or writing? After succesfull removel I would make sure to check its health by running a checkdisk /x (or inspect it with approriate tooling) before using it for any storage purposes.

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Barry

I removed a 500 Gig that was 98% full (so it said) and that took about an hour.

I think there is a problem but can not offer any suggestions on what to do about it.

Bob
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:15 PM
  • Could also be the drive is running in PIO mode. Please checkout this thread and this one and this one.

If your disk controller has dropped back to PIO mode, it's been detecting errors from your disks for a while, and has been stepping back the disk access mode to try to compensate. This usually indicates a problem either with one or more disks attached to the controller, or with the controller itself.

As long as there's disk activity best let the removal process running. Once finished you can logon ot your server desktop to check if the disk has indeed dropped to PIO mode, and correct the problem (see links above for details). After correcting the problem please run chkdsk on all disks in your server

Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:57 PM