none
Need (at least) two different sets of "My Threads" per Display Name RRS feed

• Question

• Background:

I am a Moderator of the (ca 12) pre SharePoint 2010 forums. There are also four SharePoint 2010 forums. Both sets of forums have General / Admin / Customization / Programming forums and espcially in the Programming forums there are some people who clearly have both the pre-2010 and the 2010 forum in their "My Forums" set.

There is one person (an MVP) who never seems to know where he is when he posts and thus he very often suggests SP 2010 only functions as solutions to pre-SP 2010 problems where they don't apply. Sometimes the OP then spends time trying to find these functions (and of course fails) because typically the reply from the MVP mentions the function but not SP 2010. I should also note that it's clear that he thinks he is replying to a question about SP 2010 (even though that is impossible given the forum the question was asked in) because for instance he uses phrases like "there is a new function XXX which ..." which can't be refering to a 2007 (the previous SharePoint version) function when posted in 2011.

The problem here is that it is politically (and humanly) difficult to beg someone (and especially an MVP) who is - when he is on topic - providing good support to remove the pre-SP 2010 programming forum from his list of My Forums because of the confusion his posts sometimes cause.

If however it were possible to create two different sets of My Forums, the problem would be solved. It would need a manual and intentional change of My Forums (from "2010" to "2007" - or even from 1 to 2) for him to be able to even see pre-SP 2010 threads at all and because of this the person would be aware of where he is and wouldn't post answers that only apply to a newer version of the product.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:55 AM

Answers