Remote Desktop, lan only website, folder permissions RRS feed

• Question

• Context:

I added a website through IIS with a webroot in D:\shares\dev\wwwroot\SITE\.  I put the website on the data drive so that the files would be duplicated automatically.  This website isn't going to accessible outside of the LAN, it's for development use only.  I'm not trying to do port forwarding or anything to host a production site on my WHS.

Description of problem:

From a LAN laptop the address dev.SITE.com resolves to site and the webserver returns the default index.htm file.  From the actual WHS itself this also works exactly the same.  However if I access the WHS with Remote Desktop and browse to dev.SITE.com i'm forwarded to: dev.SITE.com/home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true.  So from the server it works, from a remote desktop session to the server it doesn't work.

Here's some more information:

- I have a DLink DIR855 router.  The server is connected physically, the laptop is accessing over the WIFI network.

- the default public site for the WHS relocates to the sub-folder /home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true

- I was having a similar problem explicitly accessing dev.SITE.com/index.html until I added folder permissions for the user IUSR_SERVER to the D:\shares\dev\wwwroot\SITE.com folder.

- Adding permissions to this folder for the REMOTE_DESKTOP_USERS didn't resolve the problem.

- The SITE.com website is in it's own application pool.

- All the other sites and application pools are stopped.

Does anyone know what is wrong?  I think it's either related to the folder permissions and that accessing from the server is a different user than from the Remote Desktop.  When it can't access the folders it's trying to go to the default location.

Or maybe it's something else?

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:35 PM development question (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:50 PM

All replies

• I would recommend not putting the web site files in your server shares. If you need them duplicated, use a scheduled task which copies everything from a folder outside the shares into a share (via UNC path) on a regular basis. Why? Windows Home Server manages all permissions in the shares. In most cases, any changes you make outside the shares will be reset (eventually) by Drive Extender.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Windows Home Server manages all permissions in the shares. In most cases, any changes you make outside the shares will be reset (eventually) by Drive Extender.

Is there anywhere on WHS where the folder permissions aren't in danger?  The system drive maybe?

I've been wanting to play around with a Subversion or Git repository anyway.  If I have the repository on the share and then copy the website files to a non-share location where I can safely add folder permissions, do you forsee any problems with that?

Do you have any insight about my original problem with the way WHS is forwarding me?  I'm not certain this has anything to do with permissions.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:17 PM
  •  On 8/28/2010 5:50 PM, sfeldkamp wrote:

Context:

I added a website through IIS with a webroot in D:\shares\dev\wwwroot\SITE\.  I put the website on the data drive so that the files would be duplicated automatically.  This website isn't going to accessible outside of the LAN, it's for development use only.  I'm not trying to do port forwarding or anything to host a production site on my WHS.

Description of problem:

From a LAN laptop the address dev.SITE.com resolves to site and the webserver returns the default index.htm file.  From the actual WHS itself this also works exactly the same.  However if I access the WHS with Remote Desktop and browse to dev.SITE.com i'm forwarded to: dev.SITE.com/home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true.  So from the server it works, from a remote desktop session to the server it doesn't work.

Here's some more information:

- I have a DLink DIR855 router.  The server is connected physically, the laptop is accessing over the WIFI network.

- the default public site for the WHS relocates to the sub-folder /home/default.aspx?gotodefault=true

- I was having a similar problem explicitly accessing dev.SITE.com/index.html until I added folder permissions for the user IUSR_SERVER to the D:\shares\dev\wwwroot\SITE.com folder.

- Adding permissions to this folder for the REMOTE_DESKTOP_USERS didn't resolve the problem.

- The SITE.com website is in it's own application pool.

- All the other sites and application pools are stopped.

Does anyone know what is wrong?  I think it's either related to the folder permissions and that accessing from the server is a different user than from the Remote Desktop.  When it can't access the folders it's trying to go to the default location.

Or maybe it's something else?

My personal suggestion would be to install IIS or another web server (such as Apache) on one of your client computers.  Put the site on there, and do NOT set up port forwarding to it in your router.  This will accomplish three things for you.  1) It won't interfere with WHS,  2) It will allow you to access it by any name that you specify (or IP Address) from your LAN only, and 3) WHS will back it up as part of it's regularly scheduled backups of the client (duplication, if you will).

Let me put it like this.  Would you install another engine in your car (alongside the one that is already there)?  If not, then why would you wan to try and put another website in Windows Home Server, when it has a site, and it's not designed to handle multiple sites?

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.
     -- Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:18 PM
  • That's an idea, but I don't have another computer handy.  My WHS is my repurposed desktop, I only have the laptop and I'd like to keep it free from the services and applications that would be needed for a webserver/application server/database server.  I could create a Windows Server 2008 virtual machine on the WHS, but then I'm back to mixing purposes and I had trouble before getting the WHS to properly backup the VM.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:37 AM