MS MONEY 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• my money 2004 won't open the window for type the transaction after window 10 update KB4551762
    Saturday, March 28, 2020 6:31 PM

Answers

• I back up my mny in external hard drive so I have all my data. Do I have to copy on a USB flash drive?

My laptop runs on 64-bit windows 10. 

You should search that external hard drive for *.mny and *.mbf files that predate the problem. Also check it for a *.m12 file.

Navigate to  "\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2004\MNYCoreFiles"
    Note that the MNYCoreFiles folder is hidden, so just type it or paste it.

Then run
     salv.exe

Note that you may be set up to hide the ".exe" part.

One way is to paste the following line
    into the box at top of File Explorer:
    \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2004\MNYCoreFiles

Then right-click salv.exe, and choose Open.

The program will ask you for the location of your Money file in the "Repair File" box.  You can Browse to your file.
    It will ask for a Save as" location. I suggest you enter that as something like hope.mny in your Documents folder.

Click Next. Then do a level 2 file repair. Note the results.

When done, open hope.mny. If that better?

• Marked as answer by geotrim Friday, April 3, 2020 2:19 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2020 3:57 PM

All replies

• Did you try uninstalling KB4551762 to see if that is cause of the problem?

Bill Becker

Sunday, March 29, 2020 12:39 AM
  • Don't overwrite your only good backup file, but it may be too late if you always backup when you close. Save an extra copy of your scheduled backup that predates the problem.

You could open Sample.mny to see if it has the problem.

There are repair techniques.

Sunday, March 29, 2020 3:52 PM
  • The updare is more then 10 days old i can't remove it
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 2:26 AM
  • I all ways back up on close.I try to open from the back-up and is doing the same.

Do you think if I reinstall the MONEY 2004 from the original cd it will work?

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 2:37 AM
  • I all ways back up on close.I try to open from the back-up and is doing the same.

Do you think if I reinstall the MONEY 2004 from the original cd it will work?

You could open Sample.mny to see if it has the problem. If it does, then reinstall has a good chance of fixing it.

There are repair techniques.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:26 AM
  • Also, when you open Sample.mny, make sure you go to Help / About and tell us what the version number is. Many people tell us that they have Money 2004 when they really have Money 2005 (copyright 2004). Money 2005 requires that you get a downloaded installation file that has the updates needed for it to work with your file. Money will no longer be able to be updated online. All the update servers have been removed, they no longer exist.

If you do have Money 2005 (version 14), then you can get the download by following links in the second sticky post in this forum.

Bob - MSN Mobile

Tuesday, March 31, 2020 3:13 PM
  • Hi Bob, I don't know how to open a Sample.mny, but I try both repair techniques from the Money under the file but did not fix it. Can you please explain how to 

create or open the SAMPLE.MNY.

I have Money 2004 small business. Version 12.0

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 1:54 AM
  • Hi Bob, I don't know how to open a Sample.mny, but I try both repair techniques from the Money under the file but did not fix it. Can you please explain how to 

create or open the SAMPLE.MNY.

I have Money 2004 small business. Version 12.0

Thanks.

I suggest that you copy "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2004\sample.mny" or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2004\sample.mny" to your Documents folder.

Then open that copy of sample.mny that is in your documents folder. That will open Money with sample.mny.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 2:56 PM
  • Hi Bob, Tanks for the directions I open the Samble.mny and it dose have the same problem. 

I all ready try to reinstall from the CD but the installation ask for my mny password after finish still fave the same problem.

So my only option is to delete the old money and reinstall from the CD as a new installation and start from the beginning maybe work.

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 6:17 PM
  • I have Money 2004 small business. Version 12.0

I suggest you do the following command in a command window, and wait for it to finish.

dir \*.m12 /s

Did it find something? If so, what is the date on the file?

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:44 PM
  • No found only this:

Volume in drive C is OS

Volume Serial Number is 73E2-79F0

Wednesday, April 1, 2020 11:31 PM
  • How many disk drives are on your system?
    Thursday, April 2, 2020 7:24 AM
  • ONLY ONE, IT'S A LAPTOP.
    • Edited by geotrim Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:20 PM
    Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:19 PM
  • ONLY ONE, IT'S A LAPTOP.

Make a copy of your *.mny file onto another drive, such as a USB flash drive. While you are at it, think of what else you would miss a lot if your laptop drive failed or you made a mistake and deleted or corrupted something.

I was thinking you might be interested  in trying to repair your Money (*.mny) file. I will try to tell you how to do that if you like. Is that laptop running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows? Knowing that will make it simpler to tell you how to run salv.exe.

Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:40 PM
  • I back up my mny in external hard drive so I have all my data. Do I have to copy on a USB flash drive?

Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:52 PM

You should search that external hard drive for *.mny and *.mbf files that predate the problem. Also check it for a *.m12 file.

Navigate to  "\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2004\MNYCoreFiles"
    Note that the MNYCoreFiles folder is hidden, so just type it or paste it.

Then run
     salv.exe

Note that you may be set up to hide the ".exe" part.

One way is to paste the following line
    into the box at top of File Explorer:
    \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money 2004\MNYCoreFiles

Then right-click salv.exe, and choose Open.

The program will ask you for the location of your Money file in the "Repair File" box.  You can Browse to your file.
    It will ask for a Save as" location. I suggest you enter that as something like hope.mny in your Documents folder.

Click Next. Then do a level 2 file repair. Note the results.

When done, open hope.mny. If that better?

• Marked as answer by geotrim Friday, April 3, 2020 2:19 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2020 3:57 PM
  • Hi Bob, I follow all your recommendations and I perform repaired level 2 file "hope money" didn't fix it. The results notepad:

No broken records in the original file.

let me explain you my problem. When I click "new" to enter a transaction it sure open a small window under the record section, to enter the new transaction,   like you will writing a check, to record the transaction. instead is get in into the record section and is not in order the subsections to record. "the payee, amount, date, check #, category,... "

I hope this is more helpful.

• Edited by geotrim Friday, April 3, 2020 4:23 AM
    Friday, April 3, 2020 4:16 AM
  • let me explain you my problem. When I click "new" to enter a transaction it sure open a small window under the record section, to enter the new transaction,   like you will writing a check, to record the transaction. instead is get in into the record section and is not in order the subsections to record. "the payee, amount, date, check #, category,... "

1. Look for a check-box for "Show Transaction Forms". When you tick the box, it opens the separate section.
    2. To toggle whether the register is in single-line mode, press Cntl+T.
    3. To control the order that entries show in the register, see the View setting above the transactions. That brings down a drop-down list that lets you determine how things are sorted. Click the "Sort by", and choices appear.  There is also a choice for "Use Forms to Enter Transactions" and "Enter Transactions Directly into the Register

I hope one of these makes the register act as you wish.

Friday, April 3, 2020 12:36 PM
  • Hi Bob, Thank you very much. look like after the windows update the tick from the Show Transaction forms box went away and I didn't notes it.

You save my from a lot of unnecessary work. I was going to delete and install the mny from the CD as a new installation and recreate all my accounts from the beginning.

Again thank you very much.

Friday, April 3, 2020 2:40 PM