Failure during reinstallation - help! RRS feed

• Question

• I was doing a reinstallation on my server.  In the "Finalizing installation" phase I checked on the server and found this error:

Installing Windows Home Server failed:  The file can not be accessed by the system.

(error code 0x80070780).

I originally did the re-install because all of my tombstone files appeared to be corrupted (I got this error whenever I tried to access any of the files through the shares - if I accessed them via the C:\fs mount point they were all fine).  Interestingly my backups continued to (apparently) work correctly with no errors.  I was pretty sure that backups are stored on the "D" drive so I assumed the drive was okay.  Also I did a chkdsk and found no major issues.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this fixed?  I have LOTS of files stored on this server (probably about 3TB) and I don't want to lose them!!

Friday, July 3, 2009 12:51 AM

Answers

• The assumption, that backups are stored on D:, is usually wrong on a multi disk system.
    I assume, that either one of your disks or at least a handful of sectors on it is damaged, or another hardware error like faulty memory kicks in.
    Hard to say now without a running OS on the server.
    Did you run the chkdsk on all drives and including check for bad sectors, as outlined in this FAQ?

Please read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to see, how to gain access to your data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:16 AM

All replies

• The assumption, that backups are stored on D:, is usually wrong on a multi disk system.
    I assume, that either one of your disks or at least a handful of sectors on it is damaged, or another hardware error like faulty memory kicks in.
    Hard to say now without a running OS on the server.
    Did you run the chkdsk on all drives and including check for bad sectors, as outlined in this FAQ?

Please read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to see, how to gain access to your data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, July 3, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Olag.  Here is some more information.  I ran chkdsk /r on all the drives before I did the reinstall.  There were some bad blocks found and repaired.  I was still unable to access anything via the shares but all the data was still available from the mount points.  Currently the system is running (after I got the install error it dropped me back to the desktop) and the mount points have been re-created for each of the data discs.  The second partition on the primary drive never got assigned as the "D" drive though.  I can see the partition in Disk Management but it has no drive letter assigned.

Additionally it may be worth mentioning that what should be the "D" drive is almost full (445GB total, 53MB free).  Up until recently that drive typically had about 250GB free and the bulk of the usage was for the backups (I found them using Explorer).

At this point it "feels" like perhaps something on that partition got corrupted.  I'm beginning to think it might be good to either replace the primary drive completely, or to blow away that partition and try the install again.  Before I tried that though I wanted to consult with some people on the forum.

As an FYI my current job (for the last 15 years) is System Administrator for a number of Windows servers.  Also I've been using WHS since the initial beta.  I say this not to "brag" but just so you know that I'm very technical and able to plow through event logs or do any other steps that might help diagnose / correct the problem.

-- Dave

Friday, July 3, 2009 12:58 PM
  • Dave, I would honestly recommend you go through that last FAQ that Olaf linked and recover your data that way, before you try to reinstall again. You may be right that there's a problem with the system disk, but I'm concerned about the overall health of the storage pool at this point. Recovering your files first, outside of the Windows Home Server environment, will give you a realistic assessment of any file issues that you might have, which reinstallation may not provide for you.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:28 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  I did review the FAQ - I was just hoping there might be an easier way.  I'm not sure how much free space I have to use for backing this up.  Fortunately most of the data is not *critical* and recovering it would mostly be lost time but it's still a lot of work.  I'll probably push the most important stuff off and then take a risk after that.  If I were to completely replace the primary drive with a new one and start an install, would I be given the reinstallation option?
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Thanks Ken.  I did review the FAQ - I was just hoping there might be an easier way.  I'm not sure how much free space I have to use for backing this up.  Fortunately most of the data is not *critical* and recovering it would mostly be lost time but it's still a lot of work.  I'll probably push the most important stuff off and then take a risk after that.  If I were to completely replace the primary drive with a new one and start an install, would I be given the reinstallation option?

You should get Server Reinstallation as long as A) you provide whatever drivers are necessary in order for all drives to be seen in the Load Additional Storage Drivers window and B) your primary drive is the lowest possible hard drive slot attached to the motherboard (in other words, WHS must see that hard drive before it sees any other hard drive).
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Ok - that should be no problem.  Thanks for the details! :-)
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:09 PM