Apparent Counterfeit Software RRS feed

• Question

• In August I purchased supposedly NEW and UNOPENED versions of Windows 7 Ultimate and Microsoft Office Professional from two separate vendors on eBay.  These were NOT cheap by any means, I paid a reasonable price for them.

They arrived promptly in the proper packaging and no sign of tampering or reason to believe they were counterfeit.  When I installed them, Windows went through the WGA checks and everything passed.  Now, two moths later, Windows reports both as being fakes and cannot continue using them.

What recourse do I have?  It is to late for eBay to file a dispute, the vendors are still selling their fakes, and I'm stuck with hundreds in bogus software.

While I will be more than happy to participate in the prosecution of these individuals and give Microsoft everything they need to do so, where does that leave me with the fakes I now have?  Will Microsoft provide real versions?

By the way, the vendors are here in the US and can be prosecuted easily.

A response from Microsoft would be appreciated.  Please do not respond unless you represent Microsoft and are in a position to know how to handle this.  I do not need a morals lecture from anyone with too much time on their hands.  I just want the REAL software Ipaid for and am willing to nail to the cross the thief selling the counterfeits.

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:38 AM

Answers

• No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 4, 2011 11:38 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hello JCJauancito,

The first thing we need to do is verify that the software is, in fact, Counterfeit or if there is something else (possibly fixable) causing the Non-Genuine messages.

Please download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Once the tool is running, click the "Continue" button. After a short time, the Continue button will change to a Copy button, click the Copy button then Paste the report into a reply message in this thread.

Note: If you get an error, while running the tool, please ignore it. The error is regarding the tool not being able to create a log file (due to Write permissions in the root folder) that we do not use.  The Copy button will still work.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, October 31, 2011 6:36 PM
  • "By the way, the vendors are here in the US and can be prosecuted easily."

Prosecution is never easy.  The con artists are adept at hiding their identities and disappearing. 

You need to post the MGADiag report here before anyone can say what you have.  The Genuine Office check was terminated a couple of years ago so all we can comment on is Windows.

Don't buy Windows, Office, Creative Studio, or other licensed software out of channel.  eBay, the Amazon Marketplace, Craig's List, and discount websites are waaaay out of channel.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 7:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Dude...ebay may not be willing to help but you can still go after the guy...email him and tell him you are reporting him to the FBI if he doesn't refund your money...you don't need ebay or paypal to hit him off good....sometimes the threat of FBI involvement will do wonders! Or take them to small claims court...lots of info about that can be found here: www.consumerist.com . You may not want to hear it, but Microsoft owes you nothing. You have been had, and that is that. It is up to you where you want to take it from here on....
    Monday, October 31, 2011 8:34 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, November 4, 2011 11:38 PM
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:38 PM