Replacing OS Drive- Made poor choices during initial installation RRS feed

• Question

• I built a WHS machine using an 80GB IDE drive and two 1T SATA drives.  During installation I only had the IDE drive and, being impatient, set up both the system and data partitions on it.  The IDE drive is now on it's last legs and I have a new drive to replace it.  The old system does run for a fair amount of time before crashing.  How do I move the tombstones off the primary partition of the old drive?

Also, what's the best way to configure these three drives, 1 120GB IDE and 2 1TB SATA?  My SATA controller is RAID capable.  I prefer reliability over performance.

TIA
    Rob
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    if you replace the broken disk and boot from the WHS DVD, you should be offered a server reinstall. This mode keeps the files on the data disks intact and will also rebuild the tombstones.
    RAID is not supported by WHS. SATA drivers are difficult to handle, since they must be provided up to two times, and the second time on a floppy disk.
    IDE mode for SATA controller enabled would be the most simple method, you will have to take care, that the new system disk is detected as boot disk as disk 0. This depends from the port connected and from the Bios.
    If a server reinstall is not offered, read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    if you replace the broken disk and boot from the WHS DVD, you should be offered a server reinstall. This mode keeps the files on the data disks intact and will also rebuild the tombstones.
    RAID is not supported by WHS. SATA drivers are difficult to handle, since they must be provided up to two times, and the second time on a floppy disk.
    IDE mode for SATA controller enabled would be the most simple method, you will have to take care, that the new system disk is detected as boot disk as disk 0. This depends from the port connected and from the Bios.
    If a server reinstall is not offered, read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:36 PM
  • So should I create the data partition on my new disk 0, or should I create a small partition on one of the SATA drives, or all of one of the sata drives?  Also, if I use hardware RAID, won't WHS recognize it?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:33 AM
  • BTW, the old disk 0 was a pull from a Tivo.  It had run continuously for 6 years so I figured that it must be a solid drive.  Apparently the tivo file system access is quite a bit gentler than NTFS.  It's kinda' like taking your grandmother's 40 year daily driver on a road rally.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Creating any partition manually on the server disk does not bring any benefit, since there are a few identifiers, which WHS uses to detect its own volumes. If they are not there, the disks will either be wiped (during new install), ignored/integrated (if they have been part of a storage pool during reinstall) or eventually confuse the setup program and make  it not offer a reinstall. If the setup program finds the triggers to offer a reinstall (DATA volumes from a former installation) it will usually offer a reinstall.

RAID is not supported in WHS - this statement includes hardware RAID. Even if it would install, as soon as a disk fails and the controller rebuilds the RAID with a different serial number, the chances for trouble are good. Also a reinstall gets complicated or not offered.

Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:07 AM
  • In general, to recover from a failed system disk you replace the system disk and perform a server reinstallation. In your case, you'll replace the current 80 GB IDE drive with the new 120 GB IDE drive. There are further details of how to perform a server reinstallation in this FAQ posting.

In a system drive replacement scenario, reinstallation will rebuild the tombstones; there's no need to try to recover them yourself. You may want to connect the failing drive to another computer (it's extremely important that you not connect it to your server without using diskpart or a similar utility to clean the partition table!) and examine the contents of <drive>:\DE\Shares (<drive> will be the second, larger partition on the disk) to see if your server had any files stored on the system drive. If it did, make sure that they were in shares flagged for duplication, and if not, copy them back to your reinstalled server (assuming they can be read; a failing disk means the chance of data loss if you don't have multiple copies). 

Please get back to us with any questions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:57 PM