Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Little question, Are there plans to build a version of Windows Live OneCare for Windows Home Server?

Thanks
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 1:39 PM

Answers

•  JimR1 wrote:
    If you mean will there be a version of One Care built to protect WHS the answer is the One Care team does not tell us what their future product plans are, but a WHS version seems to be a good idea.

I hope they build a version for Windows Home Server... Thanks for answering.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:38 PM

All replies

• One Care works with Windows Home Server. You can use WHS as a backup destination or choose to have WHS handle the backup and restore functions ( recommended ). These Microsoft Knowledge Base articles provide additional detail - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943903/en-us  and  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942676/en-us

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:07 PM
  • I may have misunderstood your question. If you mean will there be a version of One Care built to protect WHS the answer is the One Care team does not tell us what their future product plans are, but a WHS version seems to be a good idea.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:13 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    If you mean will there be a version of One Care built to protect WHS the answer is the One Care team does not tell us what their future product plans are, but a WHS version seems to be a good idea.

I hope they build a version for Windows Home Server... Thanks for answering.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 2:38 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:
    One Care works with Windows Home Server. You can use WHS as a backup destination or choose to have WHS handle the backup and restore functions ( recommended ). These Microsoft Knowledge Base articles provide additional detail - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943903/en-us  and  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942676/en-us

I read both KB articles but they don't address my issue. I have never configured OneCare for backup (I mention this because the KB's talk about turning it off) and do use WHS. However OneCare doesn't seem to recognize that WHS is backing up the computers on the network. Because of this the "health" of the computers is usually Fair. I am running v2 of OneCare on Vista (different versions on each PC on the network).

TIA
    Friday, July 4, 2008 3:49 PM
  • If One Care backup is turned off, it should not be monitoring backup status. I suggest opening One Care on each computer, select "Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup> Turn off backup.

Friday, July 4, 2008 5:36 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:

If One Care backup is turned off, it should not be monitoring backup status. I suggest opening One Care on each computer, select "Change Settings>Backup>Configure Backup> Turn off backup.

Backup has never been "turned on" on any of the computers. It seems that may be part of the problem. OneCare doesn't seem to realize that WHS is doing the backups and since OneCare has never done a backup either it thinks the computer has never been backed up so if considers the health of the computer to be "fair". I suppose I could uninstall and reinstall OneCare but I really don't want to do that since OneCare v1 is what I originally installed and then it upgraded itself to v2.

Friday, July 4, 2008 11:05 PM
  • If backup is turned off you should not have a "Fair" status. If you open One Care and look under "Backup and Restore" does it say "Off" next to "Next Backup"?

Friday, July 4, 2008 11:39 PM
  • It says "Not yet performed".

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:32 PM
  • And right beneath that where it says "Next Backup" does it say "Off"?

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Yes and Backup Location says None.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:43 PM
  • If One Care backup is turned off ( and it appears that it is ) One Care should not be monitoring your backup status so I suggest contacting support to resolve this issue. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:58 PM
  • Apparently the computer simply wanted the backup plan to be reviewed. No changes were made but now that the plan has been reviewed the health is now good. So even though I find no explicit evidence that OneCare is aware of WHS it must be so now I'm a happy guy. Thanks for help Jim.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:26 PM
  • I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue.

Saturday, July 5, 2008 2:59 PM
  • We have the new "OneCare for Server" 120-day Trial out now...will it install on Home Server?

We've been waiting a long time for this....why would MS skip over the large group of Home Server users?
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:14 PM
  • Based on the list of supported platforms and the system rquirements I would say One Care For Server cannot be installed on WHS - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/server/sysreq.htm  Support for WHS *may* come later.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Support "may"? So we're not sure...well, ok...I am a little unhappy about that, since I use OneCare on my machines, but have no protection on my Home Server...and with the release of OneCare for Server I was quite excited...if support "may" come later....do we have any idea if it's even being considered or are they going to wait for the next big release of Home Server, that will hopefully be released on the Small Business Server 2008 Framework?

Oh...sorry...just going on a little rant for a sec, cause of the whole issue...I apologize...well, here's to hoping for support!
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Rant away. I'm sure you are not the only one who is disappointed that WHS is not supported.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Yea....or at least I hope I am not the only one...I understand that they have the new Server 2008 platform to push out, and by doing so they make OneCare for Server in support of that platform...but for all those who don't have it...or those who have WHS, which is based off of the SBS 2003 platform, well....we're all out of luck...kinda sucks if you ask me..
    Sunday, July 6, 2008 4:17 PM
  • @Live Onecare Team

Please support for Windows Home Server.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:46 PM