none
Installing WHS connector from W7 desktop to XP homeserver askes for password and then refuses it RRS feed

• Question

• I have a running WHS under XP in my network.
    My office pc was an Vista machine now newly installed with W7 (64 bit)
    when i try to install the connector the machine finds the homeserver but askes at the end of the installation for the WHS password.
    When i enter the correct password it is refused.
    Any thoughts?
    Greetings from the Netherlands
    Friday, November 20, 2009 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    sometimes the problem goes away, if you reboot the server.
    If not, there are various reasons why a password gets rejected, even if there is no typo.
    One could be caused by NVidia graphic card drivers installed on a self built server. Resolution for this is explained in the FAQ How to handle error message “The Password is incorrect” attempting console access. Other reasons have to do with altered permissions on the Home Server - you should logon to your home server in this case and check the event log for error messages and warnings in relation to COM and DCOM components and security failures. If you find such, post them here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by FatP Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:23 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    sometimes the problem goes away, if you reboot the server.
    If not, there are various reasons why a password gets rejected, even if there is no typo.
    One could be caused by NVidia graphic card drivers installed on a self built server. Resolution for this is explained in the FAQ How to handle error message “The Password is incorrect” attempting console access. Other reasons have to do with altered permissions on the Home Server - you should logon to your home server in this case and check the event log for error messages and warnings in relation to COM and DCOM components and security failures. If you find such, post them here.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by FatP Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:23 PM
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Greetings,
    reboot of the server brought nothing. After fiddling around with all parameters i was ready to abandon this whole "home" server idea. As a last resort I reinstalled WHS from scratch and disabled the Nvidea driver: and it worked!
    Thanks for the help Olaf
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:23 PM
  • I Had The Same Problem.Im Running XP Pro With Just A Admin Acct.( The One Created @ Install) When I Go To The WHS Icon In Taskbar I Hit Update PW Leave The Top One ( For XP ) Blank! And Put The One You Gave The Client In The WHS Console In The Bottom Hit Ok. It Works!...........Smuggly
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:33 AM