Where do I put my add-in? RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a test add-in that I want to add to my windows home server console. What folder to I drop the .wssx file into to get it to show up on the add-ins tab of the dashboard?

There is no Software/Add-ins Folder available in the Shared Folders volumn and creating one doesn't appear to resolve the problem.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi!

The .wssx file is a kind of installer-file including a msi. After you have installed the connector software you can install the wssx from any client or vail-server by double clicking it.

Morgot

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Sean, I'm pretty certain he's looking for the "Available Add-ins" view that V1 has. And that's not part of Vail, as far as I know. Add-ins aren't installed from the server, they're installed from a client.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by OneHip Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:05 PM

All replies

• On WHS v1 it's

D:\shares\Software\Add-Ins

Don't know for Vail.
    "OneHip" wrote in message news:180d88b6-36f4-4c15-8367-88e87fad9320...

I've created a test add-in that I want to add to my windows home server console. What folder to I drop the .wssx file into to get it to show up on the add-ins tab of the dashboard?

There is no Software/Add-ins Folder available in the Shared Folders volumn and creating one doesn't appear to resolve the problem.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:49 AM
  • I was looking at one and it put that file in:

"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\addins\packages"

Just an observation.

--
    Don
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Hi!

The .wssx file is a kind of installer-file including a msi. After you have installed the connector software you can install the wssx from any client or vail-server by double clicking it.

Morgot

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Morgot,

Thanks for the response, but it is not quite what I was looking for.

I want to make the application wrapped by the wssx installer visible in the WHS V2 Dashboard with a status of "Available". The goal is to make the application visible in the Dashboard and provide the end user the option to install it or not.

Double clicking the wssx file actually installs the application as well as making it visible in the Dashboard.

So how can I make the application visible to the end user in the Dashboard without actually installing it?

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 5:51 PM
    So how can I make the application visible to the end user in the Dashboard without actually installing it?

You can't.

When you install an add-in it's registered in the appropriate location or locations (remember that there's a client extensibility model now) and displayed as appropriate. Until you've installed it, the server itself doesn't (can't, really) know about it. There's no equivalent in Vail of the V1 "Available Add-ins" list.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:14 PM
  • I think you can just double click it on the Vail server right?

"OneHip" wrote in message news:1f176ab0-2e6c-441f-a58d-d73d947ae808...

Morgot,

Thanks for the response, but it is not quite what I was looking for.

I want to make the application wrapped by the wssx installer visible in the WHS V2 Dashboard with a status of "Available". The goal is to make the application visible in the Dashboard and provide the end user the option to install it or not.

Double clicking the wssx file actually installs the application as well as making it visible in the Dashboard.

Thanks for your help.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:51 PM
  • Sean, I'm pretty certain he's looking for the "Available Add-ins" view that V1 has. And that's not part of Vail, as far as I know. Add-ins aren't installed from the server, they're installed from a client.
    • Marked as answer by OneHip Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for your timely response, and your information. At least I know what is and is not available. Seems a shame that MS took this functionality out of WHS V2.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:41 PM