windows XP PRO RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to reinstall windows xp pro to my sony laptop  using keycode on the back , i got message that key code is invalid.. I lost original recovery cd.I used my desktops windows xp pro cd. I assume Xp  sp1 xp sp2 sp3 or without sp  all have different keycodes. 

is there a way determine what version of windows xp i can use my keycode on the back of my laptop  ?? 

should I send keycode to microsoft asking to give XP version ? 

Saturday, July 23, 2011 6:08 AM

Answers

• "astat78" wrote in message news:f7c1ad57-8647-4f51-a132-2cc0534515ce...

windows xp pro  .  thats not recovery disk . on the sticker it says, windows xp professional   sony corporation. 

OEM ??? 

I dont know where I got that xp disk.  How can I get Right disk for me..

If the disk came with the PC, it's a Recovery disk and probably locked to that make/model of PC - it will probably also have the manufacturer's name printed on it, and will not have a hologram.

If the disk is an MS OEM one, it will be fully hologrammed, and have the words 'For installation only on a new PC' on the hologram.
    If the disk is a MS Retail one, it will be fully hologrammed, and not have the above words on it.

You can ONLY use either the proper Recovery disk for that machine, or an ME OEM disk to reinstall, using the COA Key from your sticker.
    (there is an exception - if the disk is a Retail one with integrated SP3, it will accept an OEM Key)

Your best option is to contact Sony and order a set of Recovery disks for your machine. If they no longer have them, then try restoredisks.com or similar services.
    --

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:04 PM
  • To obtain a Sony System Recovery Disc for your specific model Sony computer, please see: Sony Accessory Request
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:49 PM

All replies

• "astat78" wrote in message news:18120841-44c6-4650-95ca-0ad160263f4d...

I tried to reinstall windows xp pro to my sony laptop  using keycode on the back , i got message that key code is invalid.. I lost original recovery cd.I used my desktops windows xp pro cd. I assume Xp  sp1 xp sp2 sp3 or without sp  all have different keycodes. 

is there a way determine what version of windows xp i can use my keycode on the back of my laptop  ?? 

should I send keycode to microsoft asking to give XP version ? 

What type of XP disk were you using for the install? - a Retail disk will not accept an OEM Key, so you need an OEM Disk.
    You cannot use the Recovery disk from one system to install Windows on another model or make of computer.
    --

Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:43 AM
  • windows xp pro  .  thats not recovery disk . on the sticker it says, windows xp professional   sony corporation. 

OEM ??? 

Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:37 PM
  • "astat78" wrote in message news:f7c1ad57-8647-4f51-a132-2cc0534515ce...

windows xp pro  .  thats not recovery disk . on the sticker it says, windows xp professional   sony corporation. 

OEM ??? 

If the disk came with the PC, it's a Recovery disk and probably locked to that make/model of PC - it will probably also have the manufacturer's name printed on it, and will not have a hologram.

If the disk is an MS OEM one, it will be fully hologrammed, and have the words 'For installation only on a new PC' on the hologram.
    If the disk is a MS Retail one, it will be fully hologrammed, and not have the above words on it.

You can ONLY use either the proper Recovery disk for that machine, or an ME OEM disk to reinstall, using the COA Key from your sticker.
    (there is an exception - if the disk is a Retail one with integrated SP3, it will accept an OEM Key)

Your best option is to contact Sony and order a set of Recovery disks for your machine. If they no longer have them, then try restoredisks.com or similar services.
    --

Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:04 PM
  • To obtain a Sony System Recovery Disc for your specific model Sony computer, please see: Sony Accessory Request
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:49 PM