Hard drive heat RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Has anyone else got their hard drive's running over 30°C? In fact, I have hit as high as 42°C when WHS is balancing. 

These numbers curtsey of speed fan. Speaking of fans, I have a small house fan blowing on the innards with the case cover off to maintain a 28°C

Talk about a power conservation problem.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 6:22 PM

Answers

• I was able to get speedfan 4.32 installed with no problem.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Of course, the only way to see this is to remote desktop to the server and look at the temp.

I have two 80mm fans in the case plus the oscillating fan I have blowing into the case. Crazy!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:01 AM
  • Picking one drive from one manufacturer, the WD Caviar 500 GB SATA II drive is rated to operate in temperatures ranging from 0 to 60 degrees Celsius. Other drives, from other manufacturers, have similar specifications.

Since the drive itself will be at a higher temperature when operating than it's environment, I don't think you should be "sweating" a mere 42.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:19 PM

All replies

• What are you using to monitor your drive temps?  I've just started monitoring my drives and currently have them reporting about 104 F (approx 40c).  I've just added an exhaust fan to my case (it sits in two of the expansion slots) but I don't think this is enough to keep a case with fives drives cool.  I'm guessing I'm going to have to cut a hole in the case and install a 120mm case fan.

Richard
    Monday, May 28, 2007 6:43 PM
  • I was able to get speedfan 4.32 installed with no problem.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Of course, the only way to see this is to remote desktop to the server and look at the temp.

I have two 80mm fans in the case plus the oscillating fan I have blowing into the case. Crazy!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:01 AM
  • I'll have a look at speedfan, thanks.

I realize that Microsoft is a software company, but at some point this software is going to be released to the hardware manufactures and they are going to start stuffing it into "applicance" sized hardware.  This is going to mean a lot of heat in a really small case.  It will be curious to see what kind of failure rates ensue. 

The one thing I've noticed with my system is that the drives NEVER seem to spin down.  I've gone into the power settings and changed them, but without any noticable difference.

I'll keep kicking at this 'cause 105F is just too hot.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:49 PM
  • Picking one drive from one manufacturer, the WD Caviar 500 GB SATA II drive is rated to operate in temperatures ranging from 0 to 60 degrees Celsius. Other drives, from other manufacturers, have similar specifications.

Since the drive itself will be at a higher temperature when operating than it's environment, I don't think you should be "sweating" a mere 42.
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 3:19 PM
  • HA!  "sweating it" 'cause we're talking about heat!  funny stuff Gus.  Milk just came out my nose!!!!

Really, though, I appreciate the info.  Maybe I won't bother cutting a hole in my case to install a case fan.

Thanks,
    Richard.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:21 PM
  • Ken is correct; G**gle did a study of hard drive failure rates and found that temps and continuous usage are much less of a factor than common wisdom and sense would indicate: http://www.thewhir.com/blogs/isabel-wang/index.cfm/2007/2/19/Google-Disk-Failure-Report
    -Tom Sharp
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:27 AM
  • Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:05 PM
  • Hey Ken and Tom,

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to point out a couple things mentioned in the study that I found helpful particular to this thread.

1.     I am amazed that in all the drives they tested that temperatures below 25°C actually resulted in MORE failure rates than those that were in the 30° to 45° range! That’s amazing!

2.     There was a notable exception to the temperature rule in the study that certainly impacts me. Drives that were 3 years old and older were better off cooler and as the temperature increased, so did failure rates. I am probably the exception to the rule on this as all my newer hard drives are in my desktops and my older hard drives (those particularly sensitive to the heat) are in my server.

Not sure that this makes a whole lot of difference, but it certainly was an eye opening study. I just got done installing a hard drive cooler on a newer HDD for a friend last night. I am tempted to call him back and have him take it off. That is probably not too likely, but I will tell him to watch the bottom end of the temp as well as the high end.

Thanks again guys,

Thursday, May 31, 2007 5:31 PM
  • Well done Ken.  But just so it's obvious, the page I linked contained several references including the study page, and I was actually trying to somewhat, uh fly under the radar so to speak. Competition and all. =)

Friday, June 1, 2007 7:06 AM