More control over backup times RRS feed

• Question

• Virtually all in wonderful with my WHS setup but my major frustration is with flexibility of backup times for each PC. For example, two of the PC's are for standard office based use/general purpose and would make sense to run backups whilst I am at work. The other 3 are media centre pc's which would be better backed up whilst they are not being used in their respective rooms (i.e. kids at school). Without changing out the fans, overnight backup is not a good option on the bedroom pc's

I find at present that if a backup is running at the same time as either live TV (via MCE) or video streaming, I get stuttering and don't want it to affect my tv recording either. All pc's are a fairly decent spec (lowest is P4 2.8 with 1gb RAM) and all have fairly decent LAN connections (Worst is on powerline@72mbps).

Is this a fair request or likely to be due to my setup?

Sunday, July 1, 2007 9:24 AM

Answers

• You can configure the backup time for all client PCs on your network:
    • Start the WHS Console.
    • Open the Settings dialog.
    • Select Backup view.
    • Change the backup time from "12:00 AM to 6:00 AM" to something that suits you better, such as e.g. "10:00 AM to 2:00 PM".
    • Click OK.
    Note that there are other things that happen during this window, which may impact your use of WHS. There's a link in the Settings dialog, Backup view to let you see what else may happen.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:07 PM

All replies

• You can configure the backup time for all client PCs on your network:
    • Start the WHS Console.
    • Open the Settings dialog.
    • Select Backup view.
    • Change the backup time from "12:00 AM to 6:00 AM" to something that suits you better, such as e.g. "10:00 AM to 2:00 PM".
    • Click OK.
    Note that there are other things that happen during this window, which may impact your use of WHS. There's a link in the Settings dialog, Backup view to let you see what else may happen.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:07 PM
  • I guess we all have slightly different arrangements and I can se it would be far easier to implement a one for all schedule.  However, I guess for most households there are PCs in sitting rooms, bedrooms and laptops that aren't always on or rarely connected to the home network.

It would suit my domestic arranements if I could have either a range of backup times or to set the schedule per device.  My current backup window is 3 hours, to comply with the "can't you do that later, I just want my emails" and the "can't you do that earlier the kids need to go to bed".  Whereas most PCs are actually on for many more hours in a day, I've had to compromise to minumise "user complaints".

So another vote for "flexible" backup scheduling.

Sunday, July 1, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Ken, I think you missed my point as I have already tinkered with the settings there but what I really need is backup window setup for each machine, at times which differ. I don't believe I can do that at present but instead a complete time window for WHS to backup each machine.
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 4:57 PM