none
WHS Console crashes when selecting the Settings button RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed an "Update for Windows Home Server" via Windows Update. Installing updates from the Home Server Console have not worked for a while on my system! The latest update required me to reconfigure Remote Access, but now I cannot access the Settings dialog anymore. Sometimes the Settings Dialog comes up, but clicking any of the settings including Remote Access, crashes the console. This also happens when i start the Home Server Console locally when logged in remote as Administrator.

The Eventlog indicates that the problem is related to .NET 2.0, but according to other posts regarding console crashes, this is not the cause of the problem.

Please help.

/Jan

As good as it gets...
    Friday, September 3, 2010 12:21 PM

All replies

• Using Windows Updates to install updates for your server isn't the supported way to get updates; you get presented optional updates, driver updates, etc. in addition to the high priority updates (which are all you should install).

What happened on your server to prevent the built-in functionality from working? Have you tried a server recovery? The procedure for that is in your documentation (if you have an OEM server) or you'll find a sketchy description over here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 1:02 PM
  • So, is server recovery really the only way out?

I don't remember when or how it happened that I could not update my serve in the normal way. It must have been after PP2, but before PP3. The symptom is the same; the console crashes when hitting the Update now button. Now, after the last update, the console crashes when hitting anything.

As good as it gets...
    Friday, September 3, 2010 3:48 PM
  • So, is server recovery really the only way out?
    It's certainly the only supported way out.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 5:03 PM