Policy question for Darin RRS feed

• Question

• Darin - what's the policy on Locking answered threads? It seems that often a
    new poster will ask a 'me too' on an old thread simply because it's easier
    to hit the reply button than to work out how to post a new question.
    Is there any way that Answered threads can be locked after a couple of days
    (those marked as answered by the OP, that is)

Thanks

--
    Noel Paton
    CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    www.crashfixpc.co.uk

-- Noel Paton CrashFixPC Nil Carborundum Illegitemi www.crashfixpc.co.uk
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• Historically, I only lock a thread if I have no other choice.

If someone posts to a very old thread (over a 6 months or so), I post a "create your own thread blah blah" post and then lock the thread.  (Note that I don't look into the Answerd threads, that much, so I only do this when I actually notice it).

The problem comes with newer threads.  I want the Original Poster to be able to come back and unmark the thread back to Unanswered if it turns out they still have a problem. However, if I lock the thread, they can no longer do that. (plus I'm sure someone would call out Microsoft for locking threads as some sort of censorship or that I'm "stifling" the free flow of information or something equally stupid).

For the "Me Too"ers that post in an Answered threads, the "policy" has basically been to just post 

"If the solution provided in this thread did not resolve your issue then you do not have the same issue as the Original Poster and as such, you should create your Own thread for youe Own issue"

and leave it at that. It's a pain, but anything more just tends to be more trouble then it's worth.

I hope that answered your question,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:09 PM

All replies

• Historically, I only lock a thread if I have no other choice.

If someone posts to a very old thread (over a 6 months or so), I post a "create your own thread blah blah" post and then lock the thread.  (Note that I don't look into the Answerd threads, that much, so I only do this when I actually notice it).

The problem comes with newer threads.  I want the Original Poster to be able to come back and unmark the thread back to Unanswered if it turns out they still have a problem. However, if I lock the thread, they can no longer do that. (plus I'm sure someone would call out Microsoft for locking threads as some sort of censorship or that I'm "stifling" the free flow of information or something equally stupid).

For the "Me Too"ers that post in an Answered threads, the "policy" has basically been to just post 

"If the solution provided in this thread did not resolve your issue then you do not have the same issue as the Original Poster and as such, you should create your Own thread for youe Own issue"

and leave it at that. It's a pain, but anything more just tends to be more trouble then it's worth.

I hope that answered your question,

Darin MS
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:09 PM
  • The problem comes with newer threads.  I want the Original Poster to be able to come back and unmark the thread back to Unanswered if it turns out they still have a problem. However, if I lock the thread, they can no longer do that. (plus I'm sure someone would call out Microsoft for locking threads as some sort of censorship or that I'm "stifling" the free flow of information or something equally stupid).

I can see where you're coming from on that, Darin. I hadn't realised that an OP couldn't lock/unlock a thread, either.

Thanks for the response

-- Noel Paton CrashFixPC Nil Carborundum Illegitemi www.crashfixpc.co.uk
    Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:20 AM