none
Strange NTFS permission inheritance problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a top level folder named 'Files' that has NTFS permissions configured as follows:

- Creator Owner: Full Control (Subfolders and files only)
    - Domain Admins: Full Control (This folder, subfolders and files)
    - Backup Admin: Modify (This folder, subfolders and files)
    - System: Full Control (This folder, subfolders and files)

Now, I have a subfolder within the 'Files' folder, named 'Backups' which is inheriting the above permissions fine. Within the 'Backups' folder I have another folder called 'Month One' and then within that folders called 'Week One', 'Week Two', 'Week Three' and 'Week Four'. The 'Month One' folder is inheriting the permissions but the Weekly folders are inheriting the permissions as shown below:

- Backup Admin: Full Control (This folder only - inherited from C:\Files)
    - Creator Owner: Full Control (Subfolders and files only - inherited from C:\Files)
    - Domain Admins: Full Control (This folder, subfolders and files - inherited from C:\Files)
    - Backup Admin: Modify (Subfolders and files only - inherited from C:\Files)
    - System: Full Control (This folder, subfolders and files - inherited from C:\Files)

My question is: Why is an additional NTFS permission being shown in the ACL for the Weekly folders and displayed as being inherited from the same folder, when the parent folder that the permissions are being inherited from is not configured to allow the Backup Admin Full Control?? I've tried removing ACLs, resetting permissions, etc but the additional NTFS permission in the child Weekly folder keeps returning!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Matt
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:40 PM