How to restore to a 128GB SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have WHS 2011 installed on a 3TB drive.  I would like to switch over to an SSD without having to do a clean install.  I got a 128GB Samsung SSD but so far restore will not restore to the SSD.  What do I need to do to make this work?  Mind you I'm talking about the server itself, not a client computer.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 11:06 PM

All replies

• WHS2011 requires a minimum HDD size of 160GB. WHS will thus not restore itself to a drive smaller than that. You may be able to do a fresh install on a smaller disk - search these forums for a possible answer.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ProBMXer1313 Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:27 AM
  • I had found the information on doing a clean install on a smaller drive, though it did not work for me. If I were to do an clean install on a smaller drive would that make server backup and restore useless? There has to be a way to do a restore to a smaller disk.
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:15 AM
  • It is possible, but a lot of work.  Not knowing how you have your 3TB drive partitioned.  You will probably have to move all your data off the D drive to a new partition on the 3TB drive. 

You will need to shrink your C and D drives down to fit on the 128GB SSD (say C 60GB and D 50GB, your choice).  Then you will need to do a server backup of the "System Reserve", "C", and "D" drive.  Then you can restore that backup to the SSD.  Then you can extend the partition with any unallocated space if any leftover.

• Proposed as answer by doug2h Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:30 PM
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:29 PM