Another WHS Console Problem (Regional Options) RRS feed

• Question

• On my HP X510 Media Vault (identical twin to the EX495) I have made my traditional changes to the "Region and Language Options" in the server's control panel:

Regional Options tab: English (Canada) - Location: Canada

Under "Customize": Time: HH:mm:ss - AM & PM symbols: blank - Short Date: yyyy-MM-dd - Long Date: MMMM d, yyyy
    No other changes.

On the WHS console's "Settings / General" screen I have "Region" set to English (Canada).

In theory this should give me output like this: March 26, 2010 - 2010-03-26 - 23:37:42.

The above settings have always produced the desired results on all the computers I have ever owned, built and/or worked on. The only exception being inside the control panel of my HP Data Vault X510 .

Going through the console's tabs, I get the following confusing mess:

"Computers & Backup" shows that my X510SERVER was backed up on 2010-03-08 19:47:00. So far so good.
    "Lights-Out" and "PerfectDisk 11" add-ins display dates and times correctly. Good for them.

On the console's "Settings" tab I get strange and inconsistent readings:

"Data Vault's" Power tab has Sleep and Wake times in AM/PM format, HP Update shows the correct 2010-02-03 date format.
    "General" has Date & Time as 2010-03-26 11:52 PM
    "Backup" start and end times are 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM respectively.
    "Grid Junction" shows things like March 26, 2010 at 8:58:19 AM inside its Events folder
    "LightsOut" also displays the AM/PM time format

"Storage Balanced on:" (centered along the bottom of the console window) shows: 26/03/2010 11:24 PM

One would have to conclude that the "Windows Home Server Console" (or at least the HP version) does not obey the operating system's date and time setting.

Anybody else with this issue?  Any remedies?

Regards, Ivan
    Monday, March 29, 2010 10:49 PM

All replies

• I think it affects anyone outside of the US Locale.  Remedy is to raise a bug on connect but I doubt it's something they will quickly change but they might consider for a future release:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

--
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:39 AM
  • I noticed this behaviour. But as far as I have seen this was only for values displayed from a number of addins.
    Correctly adjusting to the regional settings that apply for the account that an application is running on is a responsibility of the application (e.g. add-in) itself. That is probably why you are seeing different display behaviour in the settings tab?

Note also that when setting regional settings through the regional options, by default you are setting regional settings for the current user account only (the WHS administrator account). The systems default profile however is unaffected (unless one checks the checkbox on the "advanced" tab). As a result the default system settings will apply to any process that runs under a account other then the WHS administrator.

I would strongly advice against changing the regional settings for the default system profile (also not supported) as this could have unwanted effects on the functionality of your server.
    -Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:03 PM