Cannot re-map Shares on WHS to Local Workstation RRS feed

• Question

• I tried using the "Web Remote Access" or the abilit to access the server from the web.  I logged into the server from my parents residence to get a driver from a share on the WHS system.  I used the https://server.homerserver.com format and logged in, got the driver, and left.
    Got home, logged into my local workstation and went to back up some emailed photos and could not get into the shares I created on the WHS system, shares that I have had for over a year and a half.
    Disconnected the shares and attempted to re-map the shares and the shares could not be found.

The WHS server cannot be found in the My Network Places > Network Tasks > View Workgroup Computers… and it errors out.

“Workgroups is not accessible”. You might not have permission to use these network resources.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.”

“The list of servers for this work group is not currently available.”

I was thinking that the error was that the WHS system has been brought into a domain with a controller or has been promoted to a controller status and that all the workstations are in the “Workgroup” instead of this new domain.

How do I undo this kloodge?  I thought I understood, I was not to put this server in a domain.  I did not not know the server could be a controller.  Is this what happened?

How do I get back to my shares?

Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:21 AM

Answers

• I tried using the "Web Remote Access" or the abilit to access the server from the web.  I logged into the server from my parents residence to get a driver from a share on the WHS system.  I used the https://server.homerserver.com format and logged in, got the driver, and left.
    Got home, logged into my local workstation and went to back up some emailed photos and could not get into the shares I created on the WHS system, shares that I have had for over a year and a half.
    Disconnected the shares and attempted to re-map the shares and the shares could not be found.

The WHS server cannot be found in the My Network Places > Network Tasks > View Workgroup Computers… and it errors out.

“Workgroups is not accessible”. You might not have permission to use these network resources.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.”

I was thinking that the error was that the WHS system has been brought into a domain with a controller or has been promoted to a controller status and that all the workstations are in the “Workgroup” instead of this new domain.

How do I undo this kloodge?  I thought I understood, I was not to put this server in a domain.  I did not not know the server could be a controller.  Is this what happened?

Did you promote it to a DC?  If you didn't do it, then it shouldn't have happened.  Try logging into the server desktop to see if it's part of a domain or not (Start > right-click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab > Change button).  If the radio button is next to Workgroup, then it's the correct setting.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:39 AM

All replies

Did you promote it to a DC?  If you didn't do it, then it shouldn't have happened.  Try logging into the server desktop to see if it's part of a domain or not (Start > right-click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab > Change button).  If the radio button is next to Workgroup, then it's the correct setting.
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:39 AM
  • I will take a look.  That sounds reasonable.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 2:30 AM
  • No, the system was not promoted to be a DC.  I changed the group name to a different group name "homework" and then re-booted the system.  I then switched it back to the original "workgroup" group name and went to see if could be seen in the "MS Network".  When I checked the group name originally, it was the "workgroup" name for the group.  I thought changingn it back and forth would cause a refresh of what ever was keeping the name the group.  It was not visible.  I tried to map a network drive and got “Unable to map network drive because no network was found”.  What?

My router has DHCP servicing for any system joining the “workgroup”.  WHS instructions said not to be a member of a domain, so I keep a group.  The WHS has a fixed IP and my primary workstation has another fixed IP.  I was able to mount a network drive, but only by IP. (\\192.168.xxx.xxx\share) and not by BIOS name (\\whs_server\share).  My panic is reduced, now that I can get to finance records and all my documents.

What do I have to fix to get my workstations to recognize the WHS by name?  I have current backups of all the shares.  Do I just re-install WHS?  Short fix or long haul?

Thanks.

Friday, April 24, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Based on what you tell us, something has changed on your network and name resolution is no longer working correctly. As a first step, can you run the command ipconfig /all on your server and one of your client PCs, and post the results here?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 24, 2009 2:52 PM
  • This is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
    I had enabled the WHS to be accessible from the web.  Making this possible, I saw where the access was "myserver.msnetwork_name.com".  So I thought that the server was promoted into a domain or had it made a local DC server.  Wrong on both counts.

What had happened was that the server was fine.  There were simultaneous changes to the network at the server level and two days before at the workstation level.  The server was made accessible from the web.  I still do not know if that changes anything with the “workgroup’ settings.  Not yet anyway.   But prior to making the WHS accessible by web, the workstation got “VMware Workstation 6.5” loaded to it.  The VMNET1 and VMNET8 network adapters changed the tables and evidently, places the workstation out side the “workgroup” group.

I removed the software, cleaned the devices from the “Device Manger”, and added the workstation back into the workgroup through the “Network Wizard”.  All is well for now.  I have apologized to the WHS system.

I am currently in the VMware Forums trying to get the right combination of IP address tabled to 
     -  Keep the system in the workgroup
     - Make the adapters “workgroup” friendly
     - See if VMPlayer will work with the WHS or on the local workstation.

Wrong intuition on the circumstances of the error.

Friday, May 1, 2009 5:22 PM