Saving a dead WHS assistance RRS feed

• Question

• Having a problem recently with my EX495 where the box keeps shutting down. It has been running fine for a year now.

When it shuts down, all the hard drive lights turn off and the server health light blinks blue.

I have to hold down the restart button to restart it each time and it will stay up for a short while then go down again. It also takes a very long time to reboot. Around 5 minutes or so.

I have one drive bay free and an empty 2TB drive to migrate data off of drive extender so I could do a fresh reinstall if I need to. I would at least like to get it in a stable enough state to be able to migrate the data off of it.

I did see the health light blink red once while I was staring at it and trying to listen to the drives.

Well after monitoring it some more it seems it will not boot up at all now and just keeps going through a reboot cycle over and over.

Attached is the first error I got when I remoted in. The second is the error that shutdown the box while I was logged in via remote as admin.

Any idea on how I should progress from here? I do not know if there is a hardware problem, i.e. the system drive is dieing/dead or if the OS got corrupted somehow.

Can I just pull the drives from the WHS and move the data off to some of my other storage a disk at a time to rebuild the system?

If I pull a drive from the system can I simply connect it to another system to access the files stored on it?

Should I attempt to do a system recovery on it?  If I do a system recovery on it, could it potentially ruin data that might be available on the drives right now?  Should I pull the non system drives and then do a system recovery on it?
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:22 AM

All replies

• I should also note that this is WHS V1
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Hey, Not sure what's wrong on the HW side, but yes, you can safely pull the disk and hook it up to a new machine to save your data. Look in the DE and shared folder for your files. You might also want to keep the data on the disk, and try getting them back using server reinstall when you get your HW back up. Once you've backed up your data safely, make sure you check the disks (in your WHS) before copying stuff back onto them. Buying SpinRite is well worth it instead of copying stuff back onto faulty disks. Hope this helps. Lasse
    Friday, October 14, 2011 11:09 PM