none
System failed to flush data to the transaction log

Question

•  

Hi there,

I've just undergone the task of rebuilding my WHS.  I purchased a 1TB drive and unplugged my 5 500GB drives.  Installation went fine on the 1TB drive. 

I've started the arduous task of getting all my files back on there via a USB external enclosure connected to my main PC.  I'm manually copying all of the \DE\Shares\* files to their respective shares on the WHS.  I'm getting a whopping 5-10MB/s transfer rate (depending on file size I imagine).  Network utilization on the WHS spikes to 25% for very brief durations, but probably averages out at 1%.  Its processor doesn't go above 50% on either core.

I just spotted this in the event log.  Should I be worried?

Source: Ftdisk

Event ID: 57

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log.  Corruption may occur.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:58 PM

All replies

• It's most likely caused by "unsafe removal" of USB disk (manually, power failure to disk, power save settings") or whatever causes it to disconnect (temporally).

It may be wise to run chkdsk /f/r on this disk. If you remove the disk always use safe removal (tray icon on WHS desktop) At the moment you will need connect to WHS either by RDP (remote desktop) or KVM to do this. Would be nice if the safe removal / eject functionality could be included in WHS console.

EDIT: If you install Program Launcher Add-in from Red D solutions you will be able to get to desktop in WHS console

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:49 PM
  •  

Thanks for the quick reply Brubber.

The thing is, the drive is connected to a Vista PC.  I'm copying the files from the external drive on this Vista box to the WHS via a network share.  Why would that event be logged on the WHS and not the Vista box alone?

Further to confuse me, there is one event like that on my Vista box 12 minutes prior to the two that show up on the WHS box.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:09 PM
  •  E60 wrote:

The thing is, the drive is connected to a Vista PC.  I'm copying the files from the external drive on this Vista box to the WHS via a network share.  Why would that event be logged on the WHS and not the Vista box alone?

Oops, missed that one.

In that case there can be many things causing this error. Amongst others:

1. Bad cabling / bad Connectors (to hdd unit

2. Power issues ("Old" MB, unstable power supply, cheap power supply)

3. Failing disk (unlikely but possible)

4. Driver issue. If it's SATAII disk you may try running in SATAI compatibilty mode (jumper) or in IDE mode (BIOS setting)

5. ..........?

You could try disabling write caching for the hdd, however that will obviously have some impact on performance. Also running chkdsk /f/r will not hurt.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Out of the options above, I am pretty certain I can rule out one through three.

I'll give chkdsk /f/r a go after this 120GB batch is done.  Fortunately, it's been going for over 24 hours now and I still have only those two entries at around noon today.  All this corruption talk here has me spooked.

Thanks again

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:20 AM
  • I am getting the same error on my WHS.  I have 6 hard drives totalling over 7TB.  One of my 1.5TB drives is getting this error along with a The device, "The device, \Device\Harddisk2, is not ready for access yet."

I have a Antec earthwatts 350W PSU and the error only happens on this drive.  How do I perform a checkdisk repair on the individual drive since the OS sees all the drives as only a single drive since WHS puts it in a software RAID?

Monday, May 17, 2010 6:40 PM
  • I am getting the same error on my WHS.  I have 6 hard drives totalling over 7TB.  One of my 1.5TB drives is getting this error along with a The device, "The device, \Device\Harddisk2, is not ready for access yet."

I have a Antec earthwatts 350W PSU and the error only happens on this drive.  How do I perform a checkdisk repair on the individual drive since the OS sees all the drives as only a single drive since WHS puts it in a software RAID?

See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors.  (Also, RAID is not used at all.  The drives are simply mounted as volume mount points so you can run chkdsk /r on each drive individually by running it against the mount point.)
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:49 AM
  • I've noticed this ftdisk error on occasion, too, but it appears to coincide with rebooting the home server. I can pretty consistently get two of these warnings when the machine comes back up. I have an eSATA port multiplier with a drive in it; I wonder if it has something to do with that.

I was also getting the "The device, \Device\HarddiskX, is not ready for access yet" error when I was running defrag with PerfectDisk, but I think I may have figured that out. I had a huge array (~8TB) of 1TB and 2TB WD Green drives. I found on the Synology (NAS makers) web site that they did some testing with the WD Green drives and found only certain models to be compatible with their products, by which they mean, "doesn't degrade performance of the machine and responds well." The good model numbers are:

• 1TB = WD10EADS-00L5B1
    • 1.5TB = WD15EADS-00R6B0
    • 2TB = WD20EADS-00R6B0

About half of my drives were those good models; the other half were not. On a hunch I removed all of the drives that were not on the "supported" list and I'm running tests now... but I think that was it. I was getting a blue screen or having the WHS hang when I'd run defrag and I'd see hundreds of those "device not ready for access" messages. I've run defrag over and over in the last day since I've had the drives removed and haven't had any issues yet. I'm still testing.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:26 PM
  • I have seen this today on an ex470 on the same day I added two 1 TB disks to the storage pool. Removed that disk from pool and added another one - will have to see, if the error is coming up again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 8:02 PM
  • I am having the same error message as well. However, the system seems to behave as if I had unplugged the drive in question and then plugged it in again.  This happens throughout the day even when I am not actively using the computer.  I have checked all error loggs and this is the only one I can find that concerns hard drives.   I have noticed one thing though and that is the id of the drive that is having the error message changes.  All of these are external USB drives and if I unplug say the M drive, the L drive will have the error and go through the same process as above.  Is this an indication of a bad USB port? I have tried to figure out which port it might be but have not succeeded to date.  Also as you might guess, rebooting does not resolve the issue.  Appreciate any assistance with this.

Ric (Armydad)

Monday, November 07, 2011 4:13 AM