Can I re-add data that I have removed? RRS feed

• Question

• I had a hard drive that started to click and that windows home server would not recognize. After trying a couple of things I decided to just remove the drive (losing the data that was on it). After removing the drive I attached it to my desktop successfully. I was wondering if there was a way that I could re-integrate the data on this hard drive back into windows home server. I'm planning on adding a couple of hard drives this week. Is there a way for me to transfer the data onto the new hard drive and then have WHS recognize the data and re-integrate it?

thanks in advance
    \tb
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:34 PM

Answers

• contractcooker said:

I had a hard drive that started to click and that windows home server would not recognize. After trying a couple of things I decided to just remove the drive (losing the data that was on it). After removing the drive I attached it to my desktop successfully. I was wondering if there was a way that I could re-integrate the data on this hard drive back into windows home server. I'm planning on adding a couple of hard drives this week. Is there a way for me to transfer the data onto the new hard drive and then have WHS recognize the data and re-integrate it?

thanks in advance
    \tb

Just copy the data from the client PC back to the server through the network.  Once you remove the drive in the Console, there is no way to add the drive back without formatting the drive.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

No, you cannot do that, WHS will not 'just recognise' it. The best method is just leave it attached to your desktop and then copy over any files from that drive to the Shared Folders on the Client's desktop. If there are backups on the drive, then all your backups willbe corrupt, so you will need to use the Console option, and delete all backups and start again.

Can I ask, why didn't you use the facility to remove the drive? That way, any files on it would have been moved off the drive first.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by contractcooker Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:52 PM

All replies

• contractcooker said:

I had a hard drive that started to click and that windows home server would not recognize. After trying a couple of things I decided to just remove the drive (losing the data that was on it). After removing the drive I attached it to my desktop successfully. I was wondering if there was a way that I could re-integrate the data on this hard drive back into windows home server. I'm planning on adding a couple of hard drives this week. Is there a way for me to transfer the data onto the new hard drive and then have WHS recognize the data and re-integrate it?

thanks in advance
    \tb

Just copy the data from the client PC back to the server through the network.  Once you remove the drive in the Console, there is no way to add the drive back without formatting the drive.
  • Hi,

No, you cannot do that, WHS will not 'just recognise' it. The best method is just leave it attached to your desktop and then copy over any files from that drive to the Shared Folders on the Client's desktop. If there are backups on the drive, then all your backups willbe corrupt, so you will need to use the Console option, and delete all backups and start again.

Can I ask, why didn't you use the facility to remove the drive? That way, any files on it would have been moved off the drive first.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Marked as answer by contractcooker Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:52 PM
  • I had no space and the drive was not showing up in WHS.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:46 PM