Installing Home Server after Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys

recently built myself a little home server system, mainly for media sharing, with specs as follows;

Intel E5200
    Asus Maximus Fomula
    4Gb DDR2 800Mhz
    160Gb IDE HDD (OS Installation)
    3x1.5Tb Ecogreen F2 SATA (RAID 5 for storage)

being a student i have a free copy of Server 2008 Standard, so i installed that on the IDE Drive and set up a user account for everyone, created them a folder on the RAID5 that only they had access to and then a public folder to store all the shared media on.

after using server 2008 for a while and realizing i couldnt get certain things working (such as media sharing on media player) i downloaded an evaluation of Windows Home Server and used it on a VM for a while and i find it much easier to use.
    if i was to buy a copy of WHS, could i install it on the IDE Drive and not have it remove all the data from my RAID5 and still access it in the same way but also include the media sharing? or would i have to backup my RAID5, install from scratch and then put all the data back on again?

my other thought was to use Windows 7 Pro for the server, take out some of the fancy bits to increase performance and set the user accounts and shares again?

what are peoples thoughs?

all feedback welcomed

apilbeam
    regards
    Friday, October 9, 2009 4:13 PM

All replies

if i was to buy a copy of WHS, could i install it on the IDE Drive and not have it remove all the data from my RAID5 and still access it in the same way but also include the media sharing? or would i have to backup my RAID5, install from scratch and then put all the data back on again?
    The latter. When you install Windows Home Server, if you give it drivers for the RAID array, it will format it. If you don't, but add them later, you will have to add it to the storage pool (which will format it) if you want to manage the data on it through Windows Home Server.

In your case you have an additional issue, which is that Windows Home Server doesn't use GPT partitioned disks, it uses MBR disks. These are limited to a maximum of 2 TB per disk, so your array is too large for Windows Home Server to make full use of it (it would use the first 2 TB, and leave the last TB empty).

Your best bet is to back up the array, then break it. Let Windows Home Server have the individual drives to manage itself.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 9, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Thanks for a Quick Reply Ken.

I actually have over 2Tb of the RAID5 already used so looks like for what i want to do, i'm better off using Windows 7 Pro as a server and just disable some of the prettier bits that i dont need.

will there be any problems accessing the data from the RAID5 array that has been created in Server 2008?

Thanks again
    regards
    Friday, October 9, 2009 5:12 PM
  • I'm going to refer you to the Windows 7 forums if you need more detail, but if you can install appropriate drivers I don't see why Windows 7 would have a problem with your array.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 9, 2009 5:52 PM