Installing the released PP1 over the beta RRS feed

• Question

• I just got out of surgery and saw that the PP1 Beta has ended and downloaded the released version but have not installed it. Before I went into the hospital, I backed all clients up the the beta server. I guess I wasn't the only thing that needed surgery as one of my drives crashed (all of a sudden no longer is compatible with my processor on the client). When I try to restore the content of that drive (1q physical, 2 logical), the system hangs everytime. When I open the console from the client and select the backup to open, it always stalls at 79%. Then finally I got it to open all the way and transfering the contents from the back-up to the new drive freezes a short time into the data transfer.

Should I be using the Restore CD to transfer the content from the backup to the new drive?

Will overwriting the Beta with the released version wipe-out all previous back-ups?

Thanks

Jack

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:24 PM

Answers

• The dual boot restore CD provides identical functionality to the old version. The reason for a dual boot CD is to allow better memory handling in WinPE.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:52 PM

All replies

• Please note beta is a risky thing to do on a "production server". There are some recent post of people that have upgraded from PP1 beta to PP1 and also have trouble openening backups. Could be PP1 beta related problem. What build is your PP1 beta?

For PP install I would first uninstall beta PP1, reboot, then install PP1 release version. 

To restore I would certainly use the latest version of the restore CD (I think this one is part of PP1 release). You may want to try this befoe you install PP1 release version

To restore complete hdd I would use the latest version of the  Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD

Friday, August 15, 2008 1:39 PM
  • PP1 beta build is 3790 (SP2).

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the new Restore CD.

Every backup I try to open stalls at exactly 79%.

Thanks again

Jack

Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Your build number is not shown on the server desktop. Open the server console, click on Settings, then on Resources when the Settings windows opens. Build numbers are shown for all WHS components.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Thanks for the location, Ken. Here are my build versions"

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

Also I tried to restore my missing volumes via the Dual Boot Restore CD, but backed out when entering the Restoe Wizard after the driver list as I was not sure that I could select specific volumes to restore and not the whole computer. This is the first time using this Restore CD and am not familiar with it. Will I be given a choice of volumes on this computer to restore or will it restore the entire computer and all it's storage devices automatically?

Thanks

Jack

Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:01 PM
  • Jack,

Those versions show that you have the latest non-beta Power Pack installed.

Using the Restore CD, you will be able to select volumes but not individual files. To do that, the easiest way is to just 'Open' a backup through the Console, then copy the individual files to wherever you want them.

Colin

Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Thanks for the location Ken. Here are my build versions:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

Also I tried to restore from the (DUal Boot) REstore CD and backed out of the process after the driver selection screen as I was unsure that I would be able to select specific volumes to restore and not have to accept the whole computer w/all storage devices as restore targets. I only need 1 physical drive (2 logical drives) restored to a new hard drive partitioned into two drives with the same drive letter as the ones that crashed.

By choosing to restore via this boot disk, will I be asked which volumes (that were backed up by WHS) to restore or will the process restore all hard drives backed up by WHS attached to this computer? Thanks Jack

Saturday, August 23, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Hi Colin,

So those versions are the released PP1 versions? I don't recall installing it. Nothing wrong with that tho'.

I came back from vacation and one of my hard drives no longer was recognized by the client nor the WHS, so I put in a new drive and partitioned it into the same two missing drives with the same drive letters. I tried to restore them via the console like you suggested but every backup (even those that are listed as complete) freeze at exactly 79% everytime. That is why I am trying restore via the Restore CD. I backed out of it because I wasn't sure that using the (Dual Boot) Restore CD woould give me a chance to select specific volumes (the two Iost) to restore and not do a reformat/restoe automatically on all volumes attached to the client. You have indicated that I will have a choice of volumes by using the Restore CD. Does that include the (Dual Boot) Restore CD? Tanks for all your help.

Jack

Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:32 PM
  • The dual boot restore CD provides identical functionality to the old version. The reason for a dual boot CD is to allow better memory handling in WinPE.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Jack,

It could be that you have the system set to Auto-Update? It was included in the August update window. Yes, the 1800.0 is the latest possible version of WHS.

The 79% problem is an ongoing thing, if you use search, there are quite a few people having this. Microsoft are asking that people who experience this, to post on Connect with the error. To do so, Ken has posted the steps to follow here

According to an earlier post, this was supposed to be fixed in PP1, but obviously not!

The method suggested to try and fix it then was:

"There is a now-known problem with restore of large volumes (or maybe smaller volumes with small cluster size) which could cause this failure. The problem [ref 37289] has been just recently fixed for the upcoming Power Pack 1 release.

Here's a possible workaround. It won't work for most users, but it sounds like your situation might be right on the edge. At 79%, the server has finished its preparation work. (Most users with the problem don't get this far.) But then isn't able to service the client's requests, which needs just one more chunk of memory (12MB more.) It's possible that you may be able to mount if you could expand the pagefile size on your Windows Home Server. If you know how to do this (Remote Desktop to the server, My Computer's Properties, Advanced, Performance..., Advanced) then you could try that. Even if this works, you may find that you are able to open only some of your backups. The amount of memory needed is very hard to predict."

It mat be worthwhile trying it.

Colin

Saturday, August 23, 2008 6:53 PM
  •  

Thanks Colin,

Will try the remote in and increase page file size. Then retry. I will send in the report also. I will let you know how it goes.

Jack

Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:45 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply..

Jack

Saturday, August 23, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Hi Colin and Ken,

I remoted in, changed pagefile size by 12MB, rebooted, and tried. Still hung at 79%. Then I remoted back in, changed pagefile size to: managed by windows and rebooted. Still hung at 79%. One last attempt, remoted in, changed pagefile size by 36MB, rebooted. Stll hanging at 79%. So I ran the toolbox script to publish logfiles to Microsoft and recorded CAB 503132776. Will submit the official report shortly.

I will try the (dual boot) Restore Disk next since it will allow me to specify which drives to restore and not format/restore client and all attached drives automatically.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jack

Saturday, August 23, 2008 9:06 PM