none
WHS Harddrive Setup RRS feed

• Question

• I thought I was going to setup WHS using the MSDN subscriber download but I guess it doesn't like RAID.
    Could I get some help on how to configure my drives?

I have
       4 sata Connections 1.5Gbs RAID 0/1/5
       4 sata Connections 3Gbs RAID 0/1 (no raid 5 on the 3Gbs)

For drives I have   3  2TB
                                2 250GB
                                1 sata dvd

I was going to RAID5 the 3 2TB drives on the 3GBs connectors but it doesn't support Raid5
    Then I was going to RAID 1 the 2 250's and 2 of the 2TBs on the 3Gbs sata connectors
    That gave me 250 for the OS and 2TB for data. 
    Yep I loose at 2 TB drive but 2TB storage is probably enough.
    I couldn't do the above because I got the  "Could not initialize UI subsystem" error.

Any suggestions?
    thanks
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 6:56 PM

Answers

• RAID is not a supported technology. It's usually possible to install Windows Home Server on a rAID array, or to use one in the storage pool, but you're giving up quite a bit of flexibility to do so.

Configure your BIOS to present your SATA drives using legacy IDE mode, and make sure one of your 250 GB drives is connected to the first SATA connector on the primary SATA interface (consult your motherboard manual for more information). This will maximize compatibility, and will make for a less unpleasant experience should you ever need to reinstall as a result of e.g. OS corruption. Then let Windows Home Server manage your disks.

Regarding the "could not initialize UI subsystem" error, try a different DVD drive, preferably an IDE drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by chuck02323 Monday, March 1, 2010 12:03 AM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:30 PM