none
USB Floppy RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am unable to get WHS installed on a new system.  It has an Intel G33TL motherboard.  I have the controller set for AHCI and the GUI install "sees" the disk.  Howerver; on the first reboot and start of windows, I get ther dreaded Blue Screen with the 0x00000007 error.  I try to load the drivers at the "F6" screen, but the system beeps continuously when it attempts to read the floppy from the text set up screen and never continues. 

Any ideas?  The controller is the Intel IC9H...set for either RAID or ACHI gives the same result.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:40 AM

Answers

• Without a floppy drive (and no, Jimbo, I don't think he'll ever get his USB floppy to work; it takes specific support in the drive and in the BIOS to support it at boot time), you should configure your BIOS to run your drives in legace IDE mode. You will be giving up the advanced SATA features (NCQ, hot swapping, etc.) plus a small amount of theoretical performance, but your drives will appear to be regular IDE drives when installing Windows Home Server. You won't miss the performance; other bottlenecks will keep you from realizing the benefits anyway.
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:05 PM

All replies

• You are unlikely to get your USB floppy drive to work for supplying drivers, I'm afraid. You may be able to get the drivers to load off of a USB flash drive, however.

Faling that, floppy drives are pretty inexpensive these days.
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 4:31 AM
  • why do you say that Ken?  Worked OK for me!

Note you need to add the drivers twice, one in the intial GUI set up, then again via F6 on the text mode portion.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 12:08 PM
  • Works fine. Its how I installed my WHS with no problems.

USB stick would not work Smileh
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Hmmm...No joy on the USB stick.  On the reboot, during txt setup, I get an error that it cannot find the drivers.  A standard floppy is not an option...the board has no floppy header (hense the USB drive). 

It is unusual that it sees the drives during the GUI setup, but still blue screens later??

Thursday, March 6, 2008 4:51 PM
  • regardless of whether the drives are visible in the GUI, you still need to load the driver there as well as in the text mode portion.  The SCSI location IDs will change hence the BSOD.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  

Just to make sure, I installed Vista on the new system...it is stable and works well, so no hardware problems. 

Without a floppy drive, can anyone recommend how the get the mass storage drivers loaded?

Can a custom install DVD be made with an OEM folder by using the original install media??

Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:42 PM
  • Without a floppy drive (and no, Jimbo, I don't think he'll ever get his USB floppy to work; it takes specific support in the drive and in the BIOS to support it at boot time), you should configure your BIOS to run your drives in legace IDE mode. You will be giving up the advanced SATA features (NCQ, hot swapping, etc.) plus a small amount of theoretical performance, but your drives will appear to be regular IDE drives when installing Windows Home Server. You won't miss the performance; other bottlenecks will keep you from realizing the benefits anyway.
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 10:05 PM
  • Ken is correct about the floppy...it will read, but the sytems beeps while it does and the keyboard stops working (also USB). 

Changing to IDE/Native works.  It is a shame to lose the RAID option and, IMHO, a crime for MS to publish new software that requires you to buy two year old systems.  If I knew that going in, I would have gotten a 965 Express board taht still has a Floppy header and PS/2 Key & Mouse...I still may make the switch.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 11:53 PM
  • Hi Chris, the intel site does list USB floppy as supported on this board, so it is almost certainly your particular USB FDD that is the problem.  There is no problem with USB keyboard/mouse on WHS.

You can see a full list of supported drives here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196/en-us

IBM Thinkpad USB FDDs work, for your e-baying reference

Friday, March 7, 2008 8:03 AM