New Drive not seen by WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just taken delivery of a Proliant Microserver and have installed WHS2011 on the supplied 250GB HDD. I bought 2 WD Elements USB HDDs (as they were cheaper than their Internal versions.

I took one straight out of the enclosure (it's a 2TB WD Green Caviar EARX) and put it in the server, I also put an older 1TB EACS in.

All was working fine.

I connected the second elements drive via USB to my old WHS v1 to copy data from it for transfer to the new server. It is also a 2TB WD caviar green EARX.

Once that had the data on it I took it out of the enclosure and put it in the microserver (all 4 bays now full) to enable me to put the old server data into the shared folders of WHS2011

Here's the odd part, WHS2011 will only see one of the 2TB at any one time i.e. If I remove one the other appears and vice versa.

All four drives are visible in the BIOS but only 3 are in disk management and my computer.

Could someone tell me what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 11:52 PM

Answers

• I used the WD Utility to write zeros to the entire drive, took 24hrs but success. When I went into disk management I was prompted to initialize the disk then I formatted it and lo, I have all my disks recognised in WHS 2011

w00t

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:52 PM

All replies

• Could someone tell me what is causing this and how to fix it?

I can only guess (I don't have several of these drives to check, or even one...), but probably it boils down to Western digital being lazy. :)

Use a partition management tool such as diskpart (a command line tool that's built into Windows) to clean the drive you want to use for transferring data. If you've already wiped the old server, copy the data elsewhere first. Then repartition/reformat it and see if that helps.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:59 PM
  • You could try to use diskpart to clean the disk - maybe both disks currently are a clone of each other and using the same identifier.

Attach the disk to any system with Windows 7 or WHS 2011, open an Administrative command prompt and enter following commands:

diskpart
    list disk (take a note of the disk number for that disk you plan to clean, be carefull here, since diskpart does not ask you, if you are sure later)
    select disk X (X is the number for that disk)
    clean

This will remove all data and other information from the disk. Now you can create a new volume and format it and it will hopefully integrate as separate disk.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:25 PM
  • thanks for the responses, I tried connecting one of the drives only and assigning a different drive letter then connecting the other drive, didn't work - just the other drive had the new drive letter.

I'm using the WD utility to write zeros to the drive and after 24hrs add to server and see if i can format the drive in disk management ( had some success with this method in WHS v1)

Will try diskpart if this fails

Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I used the WD Utility to write zeros to the entire drive, took 24hrs but success. When I went into disk management I was prompted to initialize the disk then I formatted it and lo, I have all my disks recognised in WHS 2011

w00t

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:52 PM