Have sound playback inside the server? RRS feed

• Question

• So, I am about a good 500GB hard drive away from removing Home Server and putting on a copy of Ubuntu, all because I cannot get audio to play through the soundcard of the server.

No, this doesnt mean playing the sound through my speakers on my laptop as I am logged in.

This is having sound play through a soundcard physically connected to the server itself.

Does anyone know how to do this?
    Friday, May 25, 2007 6:13 AM

Answers

• Sound is disabled in the build, so you won't get it to work, AFAIK. Being designed to run in a headless mode, most would not expect sound. As you say, one can direct the sound to a client machine when using RDP.

Gordon

Friday, May 25, 2007 10:52 AM
  • As Gordon has said, audio is disabled in WHS, so you will not be able to play music through speakers attached to the sound card.

WHS isn't designed to be used as a desktop operating system, which is where sound capability is normally expected. Using it that way would impact performance and severely impact reliability; I assume that's the reason Microsoft chose to disable sound.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 1:09 PM

All replies

• Sound is disabled in the build, so you won't get it to work, AFAIK. Being designed to run in a headless mode, most would not expect sound. As you say, one can direct the sound to a client machine when using RDP.

Gordon

Friday, May 25, 2007 10:52 AM
  • As Gordon has said, audio is disabled in WHS, so you will not be able to play music through speakers attached to the sound card.

WHS isn't designed to be used as a desktop operating system, which is where sound capability is normally expected. Using it that way would impact performance and severely impact reliability; I assume that's the reason Microsoft chose to disable sound.
    Friday, May 25, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Most of us realize this is a server, but as someone I know put it, being able to *hear* when there is a problem with the server (Audio alert), has its advantages.. Case in point... Most people can barely hear the BIOS beeps (i know someone in particular who cant hear him on his Dell server, due to their frequency and his hard of hearing), being able to use a bare minimum driver, even if its just to spit out a wave file at varying volume, has its advantages... If theres a disk drive failure or the system cannot boot, I want it to be LOUD about it, cuz perhaps it cannot connect to the network.. In a release product, id really like to see WHS have a USB or similar based backlit dot matrix LCD display with information on the drives, and basic repair options... similar to most RAID NAS devices..

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:12 AM
  • Evening,

I'm not sure I'd agree with the 'sound' idea, (my servers are out in the garage).

Surely a better bet would be to have any warning notices appearing via the Connector icon in the taskbar?

Colin

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Hearing a machine set off an alarm in a home enviroment has its uses...

Similar to hearing POST/BIOS codes.. esp if its headless...

Im not talking a full blown driver, but basic ac97 compatibility and allowing you to hear the output...

Back to my analogy... id like to HEAR an alert when a drive is failing...or if windows fails boot... (since iv had failures that dont make it out to the connector (IE lost my nic driver, not being able to connect to the network)...

Im guessing most home user will have this box near where their access point is.. and hearing something set off a siren in a closet usually will get ones attention and most generic motherboards have an onboard audio component to them.

I actually have my concepts of what a WHS server should be like...

Three sata drives, Dot matrix LCD front panel telling me whats going on...

and an open slot for an extra drive, perhaps even a hotswap bay to make 4

(Three seems to be a magic number with drive extender, Like the idea of having only tombstones on my system volume, Heck could this be replaced with a SSD Hard Disk for the OS volume?)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 9:58 PM
  •  GordonTGopher wrote:

Sound is disabled in the build, so you won't get it to work, AFAIK. Being designed to run in a headless mode, most would not expect sound. As you say, one can direct the sound to a client machine when using RDP.

Gordon

I saw that there are several post on this subject but there is not an answer yet.
    I want to play my music directly on my home server, I have installed 1-2 remote

(http://www.sfr-software.de/12remoteen/) on the server and on my PDA. This all works fine, but only when i am logged on to the home server through VNC. When i log on through remote desktop it won't work. Whatever settings i use on the tab local resource, it won't work.

So I think there must be a setting in WHS where you can turn this on or of.

I don't know a lot of registry and thinks like that so who can help me with this?

Marc

If this problem is fixed i dont need a an extra PC in the living room
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:13 PM
  • Hello Marc would you be willing to post more about your system? What sound card are you using? Which version of VNC are you using? I have an EX475 and have added a USB sound card, WHS detects the card an downloads drivers for it, but I am unable to select it. Sad  It appears that sound cards maybe only blocked in select models like the HP EX47X line.

If I hear what you are saying correcly, you have your card working as long as you don't use the RDC?

Thanks

Sunday, January 20, 2008 5:19 PM
  • Hello Marc would you be willing to post more about your system? What sound card are you using? Which version of VNC are you using? I have an EX475 and have added a USB sound card, WHS detects the card an downloads drivers for it, but I am unable to select it.   It appears that sound cards maybe only blocked in select models like the HP EX47X line.

If I hear what you are saying correcly, you have your card working as long as you don't use the RDC?

Thanks

I have a self build system with a pentium 4 ans an on board sound card. its correct that all is working well as long i don't use RDC. I asume that i use the latest version off VNC but i am not sure. On a dutch forum (i am dutch) they asked me if in  "terminal service configration" audio was disabled. But i can't find the option in "terminal service configration" also windows audio service should be running (which is the case). So maybe this gives us any help. If you find te solution please let me know.

best regards

Marc

Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:43 PM
  •  BigdaddyD wrote:

Hello Marc would you be willing to post more about your system? What sound card are you using? Which version of VNC are you using? I have an EX475 and have added a USB sound card, WHS detects the card an downloads drivers for it, but I am unable to select it.   It appears that sound cards maybe only blocked in select models like the HP EX47X line.

Thanks

I have a self build system with a pentium 4 ans an on board sound card. its correct that all is working well as long i don't use RDC. I asume that i use the latest version off VNC but i am not sure. On a dutch forum (i am dutch) they asked me if in  "terminal service configration" audio was disabled. But i can't find the option in "terminal service configration" also windows audio service should be running (which is the case). So maybe this gives us any help. If you find te solution please let me know.

best regards

Marc

I don't really believe this will work for you, but you might try it anyway.

Remote Desktop Connect to your server, click | Start | Run | and then type | gpedit.msc (return) | Under "Local Computer Policy" | Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates |  Window Components | Terminal Services | Client/Server | you should see "Allow audio redirection." Now on my EX475 this was Not  Configured. By changing this to "Enabled" I can play music through my note book speakers. You might try setting this to disabled, by double clicking on it and selecting the disable option. It's just possible that setting this to disabled may accomplish what you desire. To leave the music on your server.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:56 PM
  •  

You were right, it didn't solve my problem. Any other sugestions?
    Monday, January 21, 2008 12:25 PM
  • PROBLEM SOLVED

I found on an other forum this

To get Server 2003 to play audio at the machine while logged in remotely you have to specify Remote Desktop Connection to leave sound at server, and you have to login to the server with the /console option enabled. You can edit the Remote Desktop Connection short cut to read like this:

%SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /console

Then you'll be able to hear audio at the server.

Brian

This solved the problem.

Monday, January 21, 2008 1:27 PM
  • "...audio is disabled in WHS, so you will not be able to play music through speakers attached to the sound card."

This stinks!  I just picked up a magicJack (amazing device), a USB soundcard and a HP MediaSmart server.  I was planning on plugging my magicJack into the HP MediaSmart server, but based on this information I'm out of luck.

I love my magicJack but, it has one serious flaw - even though you can use a regular telephone its soft phone application must be running in order for the magicJack to function.  Whenever the magicJack is used (make or receive a call) the soft phone application automatically gains focus.  This isn't a problem if you're surfing the web or working in Office, but if you're playing a game it causes all kinds of problems.  The soft phone has a "do not disturb" mode, but for some strange reason my wife doesn't like the idea of me disabling the phone everytime I want to play a computer game.

Please tell me that someone has found a hack that will enable sound...please...
    • Proposed as answer by r_pracing Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:10 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:59 AM
  • To enable sound in Remote Desktop Connection you need to edit the shortcut to start Remote Desktop Connection to include the following command, /admin if you are running Vista or /console if you are running an older windows version. It should look like this for Vista, %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /admin or like this for XP %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console Next when you launch Remote Desktop Connection click on Options>> and then the  "Local Resources" (tab) under "Remote computer sound" set it to "Leave at remote computer".

Once your WHS opens click | Start (menu) | Control Panel | Sound and Audio Devices | and then on the Audio (tab) you should see your audio device listed select it. (If not you may need to uninstall it and then reinstall the drivers for it) After it is selected click on the Volume (tab) and unmute it and set the volume level.

Hope that helps. Smile

Monday, February 18, 2008 3:56 PM
  • +1 on needing a way to get MagicJack working on my WHS for exactly the same reason.

it's the one always-on machine in the house and this would be the perfect use for it... but because the audio won't work (got the right drivers, got the Windows Audio started, configure RDC to leave the sound at the machine.... but no luck)

I'm thinking about dumping the WHS build and going to a NAS for backups and media sharing

Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:47 AM
  • It works, just configure RDC to leave the sound at the remote computer and then start RDC with this comand if you are using Vista with Service pack 1 %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /admin or use this comand on Vista without Service pack 1 or on windows XP %systemroot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console

You can then configure your WHS to use it's sound card.

Saturday, April 5, 2008 1:43 AM
  • Big Daddy and Darkone, I've been reading your info here on sound on the server under WHS with great interest.

Do either of you know if this will work with HP's MediaSmart server?  If I get it, I would expect to upgrade the memory to 2gb  as per another thread around here, if that's an issue (as well as ad some 750 or 1TB drives) - or does anyone know?  I understand that HP has done some customization of the WHS software, so it's perhaps not a no brainer that it will.

Does the computer originating the play commands to the server have to be on the whole time music is playing, or once lauched down a playlist it has internally, will the HP implementation of WHS just march on down it's list happily enough by itself, unless and until the human involved wants to get back involved and e.g. pause the playback or skip a track, etc.?

Can one add in or substitue one's own smallish (high fidelity, but still just stereo out, I'm talking stereo source material) soundcard in the HP EX470/475 if one wants, assuming it has Win Server 2003 drivers?

If the answer to either of these is no, or maybe anyway just to give me a better picture, what DO people running PC systems use to output iTunes or other computer database/music file source material into stereo analog RCA jack inputs into stereo/home theater systems? I've contemplated  using an old computer run remotely for this, but then became aware of the HP MediaSmart servers and thought it could kill several birds with one stone.  (Usual computer backup including photo collections, primary storage of video files, backup and eventually primary storage (with the internal second copy option turned on of course) of an increasingly massive audio collection including Apple Lossless copies of all CDs;  and FTP and maybe other remote access on occassion.)   To lean that it won't play music through my stereo even though that's just where I've planned on putting it, and even though it has a soundcard and all sorts of ability to collect iTunes files, libraries and playlists from around a home network would be one heck of a blow.

Sounds like it's doable, at least with self built systems.  How about after mild hacking of HP's EX 470?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:05 PM
  •  dougjnn wrote:
    Big Daddy and Darkone, I've been reading your info here on sound on the server under WHS with great interest.

Perhaps you missed it I have an HP MediaSmart Server a 475.

dougjnn wrote:
    Do either of you know if this will work with HP's MediaSmart server?  If I get it, I would expect to upgrade the memory to 2gb  as per another thread around here, if that's an issue (as well as ad some 750 or 1TB drives) - or does anyone know?  I understand that HP has done some customization of the WHS software, so it's perhaps not a no brainer that it will.
    HP really doesn't like doing software, IMHO. They have done fare less than has been suggested, again IMHO.

dougjnn wrote:
    Does the computer originating the play commands to the server have to be on the whole time music is playing, or once lauched down a playlist it has internally, will the HP implementation of WHS just march on down it's list happily enough by itself, unless and until the human involved wants to get back involved and e.g. pause the playback or skip a track, etc.?
    Understand that a MediaSmart Server has no default sound card, as such you must add a sound card I picked up a usb sound card. And no the other computer doesn't need to remain connected.

dougjnn wrote:
    Can one add in or substitue one's own smallish (high fidelity, but still just stereo out, I'm talking stereo source material) soundcard in the HP EX470/475 if one wants, assuming it has Win Server 2003 drivers?

Like I said as the MediaSmart does not come with any type of sound device, other than the power supply fan, you must add a sound card to get sound out of the MediaSmart.

dougjnn wrote:
    If the answer to either of these is no, or maybe anyway just to give me a better picture, what DO people running PC systems use to output iTunes or other computer database/music file source material into stereo analog RCA jack inputs into stereo/home theater systems? I've contemplated  using an old computer run remotely for this, but then became aware of the HP MediaSmart servers and thought it could kill several birds with one stone.  (Usual computer backup including photo collections, primary storage of video files, backup and eventually primary storage (with the internal second copy option turned on of course) of an increasingly massive audio collection including Apple Lossless copies of all CDs;  and FTP and maybe other remote access on occassion.)   To lean that it won't play music through my stereo even though that's just where I've planned on putting it, and even though it has a soundcard and all sorts of ability to collect iTunes files, libraries and playlists from around a home network would be one heck of a blow.
    Other than being wrong about the MediaSmart having a sound card, it does not, nor are there any jacks to output sound through, that is why you need a sound card. It will work by the way with iTunes very well, and you can sync an iPod to iTunes on the MediaSmart by the way.

dougjnn wrote:
    Sounds like it's doable, at least with self built systems.  How about after mild hacking of HP's EX 470?

I would suggest that upgrading the processor would be a good investment, it is easy for the current one to bog down. And you can add a USB DVD player and burn CDs to iTunes.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 11:59 PM
  •  

dougjnn

Sorry can't help you. I am not familiar with the HP homeserver

BigdaddyD

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 7:30 AM
  • How do i fix this problem

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:04 AM
  • This works for me -- I'm talking on my phone right now, and it's connected to MagicJack running on WHS.  I just followed the steps in this thread:

- Confirmed that the Windows Audio service was running

- Logged out of all Terminal Services connections on my WHS server

- Ran "MSTSC /admin" (I'm on Vista -- you'd do /console on XP)

- On the "Local Resources" tab, selected the option to leave audio at the remote server

- Connected to the server via Terminal Services. 

At this point, MagicJack launched, and it's all working fine. 

Now I'm working on setting MJ up as a service using the instructions below.  Then I won't need to stay logged in to the WHS box, and I don't ever have to mess with that stupid MJ console app again. 

http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org/magic-jack-as-a-service-a-better-way-t1364.html

http://magicjackhacks.blogspot.com/2008/01/running-magicjack-as-service.html

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 5:35 PM
  • I tired the exact steps that you mentioned here but it didn't work.
    You didn't mention (or it was obvious) if you have USB soundcard installed on it?
    Or by just turning on the windows audio service without a sound will work?
    Monday, November 3, 2008 2:21 AM
  •  

Hey All,

I’m new to windows home server , I just got my hp mediasmart server ex470 on ebay, thanks to 20% off from live.com/cashback. Paid a couple dollars more than if I got it at office whatever for $299. The timing was off.  My quest is to make my ex470 run magicjack full time while the server is on, and view ip cameras as well. I haven’t got  to the cameras yet though.

I wanted to share how I got magicjack to run today with the help of the many home server forums out there. When I plug the magicjack into a usb port on the server it will load, but I get an error messasge saying  “no audio devices found” . Went to the control panel to check sounds and audio devices properties and found Microsoft RDP audio driver as the default with no option to change it. I had read about a usb sound card, so I got one on ebay for $4.00, it was deliver today. Plugged it in and the server sees it, but I still can’t change the default audio device in control panel to the usb audio device. Now of course I’ve been logging into the ex470 by opening Remote Desktop Connection on the start menu of XP pro.

Then I found this on this forum:

“To get Server 2003 to play audio at the machine while logged in remotely you have to specify Remote Desktop Connection to leave sound at server, and you have to login to the server with the /console option enabled. You can edit the Remote Desktop Connection short cut to read like this:

%SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /console

Then you'll be able to hear audio at the server.

Brian”

I didn’t really want to hear sound; I just wanted the usb audio device to be recognized.

This solved the problem.

Start-->   Run--> %SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /console

Click options --> Local Resources, and choose “Leave at remote computer” under Remote computer sound. Add your password and log in. When I logged in magicjack loaded without the error and the usb audio device was my default device.

If you log off though magicjack will stop, close remote desktop session with the x at the top of the remote desktop screen.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:13 AM
  • hi sir i will like to talk with you
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Thanks for this. Just spent 5 hours digging around the web, and this is the only answer to include both the XP and Vista solution.

Thanks Darkone3 and have a great day.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:27 PM
  • so how can i get it to play on the desktop?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 6:18 AM
  • I am wanting to be able to hear music, and the audio from a movie, etc. How can I get it to do those things?
    Friday, November 20, 2009 6:21 AM
  • I am wanting to be able to hear music, and the audio from a movie, etc. How can I get it to do those things?
    Using your server as a desktop/workstation is unsupported and not recommended.  You should view the files from another device (client PC, XBox 360, etc).  However, if you really want to hear sound from it, you need to install the appropriate audio drivers for your hardware.
    Friday, November 20, 2009 8:38 PM
  • You will need to go into your router and dedicate at least 256kb in the QOS setting for both inbound and outboud. This will provided dedicated bandwidth to your VOIP phone and should help. I have not tried it with MagicJack but have with other VOIP provided and resolved the problem. Hope this helps.

Saturday, May 8, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Thanks @Darkone3, your post worked great for me, I had been trying to solve this for hours.  Enabling audio redirection on RDC did the trick for me.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:50 AM