Synchronize to survive connection change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I'm running Live Mesh on Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bits) and use my machine to connect to work through a connection with the Cisco VPN Client. When I do however, any running sync is interrupted and restarted when the VPN is established. Because I'm syncing a rather large .PST file on a not TOO fast upload, I rarely manage to get it synchronised.

When I think about it, I select the 'Work Offline' option before I change my connection and this allows me to resume the upload, but if I forget to do this or when  the VPN connection drops, I loose any information already uploaded

Would it be possible for Live Mesh to detect the change in connection and (temporarily) go to offline mode and later, when the connection is re-established, continue where it left off?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• Are you seeing the sync restart from the beginning when you switch without first going off-line? If so, I'd suggest that you file a bug with logs:

Please see this post for instructions on how to collect logs and submit a bug on Connect:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e

How are you getting the .pst file to sync? It is my understanding that .pst files are exluded from being synchronized via Live Mesh.

Thanks,

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:12 PM

All replies

• Are you seeing the sync restart from the beginning when you switch without first going off-line? If so, I'd suggest that you file a bug with logs:

Please see this post for instructions on how to collect logs and submit a bug on Connect:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/d52b350a-f3e0-41c6-8e78-d6378e566b9e

How are you getting the .pst file to sync? It is my understanding that .pst files are exluded from being synchronized via Live Mesh.

Thanks,

-steve

Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, as far as I can see, it just stops (the icon in the tray stops spinning) and then starts again. When I check the status, the upload shows it starts over again. I'll file a bug, as per your suggestion.

The way I get the .PST to sync is through a little trick I found somewhere. The main idea is to use the PST backup plugin that Microsoft provides (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8B081F3A-B7D0-4B16-B8AF-5A6322F4FD01) and instead of backing up to a file with extension .pst, rename the extension (like .p5t or something) and then have Live Mesh sync the folder where you placed the backup ;-)

Regards,
    Robert
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Ah, so you are synchronizing a .pst file that has been renamed. That works.
    Yes, as for the fact that it is not resuming after you switch connections, a bug is the way to go since the resume should work in that scenario just as if you went off line and back online again. At least that is the way that I expect it to work based on the fact that by manually setting the client to offline during the sync and then back online before switching networks allows a resume to occur.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, that's what I would expect as well. It's pretty basic, I would expect. But wouldn't you know... Can't seem to be able to reproduce the problem now... I've stopped, started, stopped, etc... my VPN connection, but the upload is continuing without a problem... I'll hold off submitting a bug for now (I'm a programmer myself, so I know how annoying it can be to track down a bug that's not a bug at all...

If I do find the problem again, I'll submit the required info and for now, I'll go through the logs to see if I can see a trace of my 'problem'.

Thanks for your prompt help!

I'll leave it to your discretion what you would like to do with this thread.

kind regards,
    Robert
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:29 PM
  • You might still want to submit the bug with your logs. If you saw this happen in the past, it may well be within your logs.
    As for the thread, it will live on. ;-) If others are seeing the same issue, they migth find it and join in.
    -steve
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Cool ;-)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:29 PM