Very Slow File Transfer to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I currently have a very problematic issue with my Windows Home Server, I have checked out the forum many times and untill now haven't seen the sollution to my problem.

1. I checked the harddrives if they are operating with Ultra DMA 6, which is the case

2. I have checked the drivers for the NIC and these are operating perfectly

3. Turned of folder duplication

4. I have totally reinstalled the server and not installed any Add-in or plugin.

5. Processor occupancy is low 2-5%

Finally the speed between my system and the Home Server is between 20 and 23 kb/s according to Windows 7 / Windows Vista.

I have no idea what I can change to overcome this problem!

- Hardware:

1. Asus M2N68-AMPlus

2. 2GB DDR 2-400

3. 2 x WDGP 1tb

4. Internal Lan (Realtek 8211CL)

5. Processor: AMD5050e

Thank you for any suggestion!

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:49 PM

Answers

• Actually the firewall issue allready occurred with me. However this has been corrected. Your answer however triggered me to check one other thing.

I installed a 3COM PCI 10/100 NIC which I had lying around here, I was sure that there were drivers for Windows 2003. After installing this NIC and mirroring the MAC address from the On-Board LAN, speeds went directly up. Getting speeds now from 10 MB/s to 15 MB/s (Windows 7 shows this speed which is not that accurate, however good enough for me at the moment)

I will order an Intel NIC, using PCI-E, to get back up to a Gigabit network, when the NIC arrives I will pos the new speeds as well! Thank you all for your suggestions!

• Marked as answer by Willems Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:25 AM
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:25 AM

All replies

• You make no mention of your network setup. You will get much better speed if you have a total gig lan, ie: nics (pc & whs), router, cables, switch(s).

Cruise

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Cruise, Thank you for your reply.

The network setup is quite easy. Everything is using the 192.168.1.x with netmask 255.255.255.0 settings. The following devices are currently installed, I have removed all other connections:
    Windows Home Server via GBit onboard LAN (Realtek 8211CL) - 192.168.1.10

Connected with a CAT6 cable to a DLINK DGS 1008D Gigabit Switch which is connected to Windows 7 Ultimate via Gbit onboard LAN A8N SLI (Marvell PHY) - 192.168.1.100, again using a CAT6 cable.
    (I have exchanged cables many times to see if this could be the problem)

I have removed all other hardware connected to the switch to check if this has been interfering. However that does not make a difference at all.

The strange thing is however this just started recently, and I cannot think of anything which has changed lately.

Greetings,

Willems

Friday, July 16, 2010 3:22 PM
  • I would recommend running chkdsk /f /r on the pc and whs. I can't put my hands on the link, but there is a good procedure for checking WHS, If you read some of the other posts, the link is there (I think Ken W. posted it). It could be a disk problem on WHS causing the slow down.

Cruise

Friday, July 16, 2010 11:17 PM
  • The post Cruise refers to is in the FAQ section. Lots of good stuff over there, most of it not written by me (though he's right that I wrote that one). :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:35 AM
  • "...LAN A8N SLI..."

You may have the A8N-SLI Nvidia Firewall bug.   Install the LAN drivers again and make sure you install the Nvidia Firewall (may appear as Network Management instead of Firewall).  Then reboot and uninstall the Firewall only.  Reboot again after the uninstall.

Even if you don't select the Firewall in the initial setup, bits of it are installed along with LAN driver.  The only way to get rid of the bits and pieces is to install and then uninstall.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Cruise, Thank you for your reply.

The network setup is quite easy. Everything is using the 192.168.1.x with netmask 255.255.255.0 settings. The following devices are currently installed, I have removed all other connections:
    Windows Home Server via GBit onboard LAN (Realtek 8211CL) - 192.168.1.10

Connected with a CAT6 cable to a DLINK DGS 1008D Gigabit Switch which is connected to Windows 7 Ultimate via Gbit onboard LAN A8N SLI (Marvell PHY) - 192.168.1.100, again using a CAT6 cable.
    (I have exchanged cables many times to see if this could be the problem)

I have removed all other hardware connected to the switch to check if this has been interfering. However that does not make a difference at all.

The strange thing is however this just started recently, and I cannot think of anything which has changed lately.

Greetings,

Willems

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Willems Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Willems Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:14 AM
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:28 AM
  • I would recommend running chkdsk /f /r on the pc and whs. I can't put my hands on the link, but there is a good procedure for checking WHS, If you read some of the other posts, the link is there (I think Ken W. posted it). It could be a disk problem on WHS causing the slow down.

Cruise

Thank you for the suggestion. I have executed the Check All Script found on this forum as well, which took some hours however it could not find a problem.

Greetz, Willems

Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Ken,

I have checked the FAQ section, I was hoping that the DMA / PIO issue would be the problem. However all was performing at maximum level, Ultra DMA.

Thanks 

• Edited by Willems Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:27 AM forgot to use qoute :)
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:18 AM
  • Actually the firewall issue allready occurred with me. However this has been corrected. Your answer however triggered me to check one other thing.

I installed a 3COM PCI 10/100 NIC which I had lying around here, I was sure that there were drivers for Windows 2003. After installing this NIC and mirroring the MAC address from the On-Board LAN, speeds went directly up. Getting speeds now from 10 MB/s to 15 MB/s (Windows 7 shows this speed which is not that accurate, however good enough for me at the moment)

I will order an Intel NIC, using PCI-E, to get back up to a Gigabit network, when the NIC arrives I will pos the new speeds as well! Thank you all for your suggestions!

• Marked as answer by Willems Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:25 AM
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Problem solved indeed. I have purchased an Intel Gigabit CT adapter. Installed it in my server and it works like a charm.

The connection speed maxes out at 50-60 Megabyte / s according to Windows 7 Ultimate, therefore I am absolutely satisfied with the new situation. The problem was that the onboard controller is actually not supported on Windows Server 2003, therefore the driver used was XP style. It worked however in the end it is problematic since the speed was not as to be expected.

Already checked the Gigabit CT adapter which is also 2008 compatible there VAIL would be no problem!

Greetings,

Willems

Friday, July 23, 2010 10:07 AM
  • I was having the same problems as willems. I had horrible speeds - my  desktop running at 8MBs and laptop at 2MBs on a netgear gigabit switch.

I had been using the ASUS A8N32sli on board ethernet w/ xp driver.

I bought the intel gigabit CT adapter and installed the driver on the disk (automatically)

my speeds have not changed at all.

my network set up -

cable internet from time warner >> linksys wcg200 (router + cable modem in one) >>> netgear 8 port gigabit switch >>> cat 5-e wiring through out the house >>> one port connects to a wap54g wireless access port. 

i cannot log into the netgear switch - i have no idea what the ip address is.

whs won't configure remote connection. consequently, i cant get to the server desktop to run the chkdsk.

any suggestions any one?

thanks in advance.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 9:47 PM