Home Network Firewall Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 PC's on my home network.  Notebook is running Vista and Desktop is running XP Home.  Network is wireless.  Both machines have been upgraded to the newest version of WLOC.  Notebook is the Hub.  Prior to the udgrade both machines shared nicely.  I was able to backup each machine on the other machine,  Now, the Notebook (Vista) cannot access the Desktop files, but the Desktop can access the Notebook.  The access error I get is that it is a firewall issue.  I have both firewalls set up the same. When I disable the WLOC firewall on the Desktop (XP) file sharing is again possible.  Any suggestions?

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:27 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare and click on Change Settings. Click on Configure Network and make sure that both PCs are shown as connected to Home or Work for the network type.

Under the advanced configuration of the firewall, confirm that the option for file sharing is enabled for subnet and try checking the option to share with all computers to see if it resolves the problem.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

• Open OneCare and click on Change Settings. Click on Configure Network and make sure that both PCs are shown as connected to Home or Work for the network type.

Under the advanced configuration of the firewall, confirm that the option for file sharing is enabled for subnet and try checking the option to share with all computers to see if it resolves the problem.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:11 PM
  • That seemed to resolve the problem.  Thanks for your help.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:24 PM
  • That fixed the problem.  Thanks.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Excellent, thanks for reporting back.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:08 PM