WHS System restore fails at crcdisk.sys on load RRS feed

• Question

• I've been searching for two weeks on how to find ways to load my WHS restore of a RAID 0 array onto a single drive...that was because my replacement RAID drive had not arrived. Today I got my replacement hardware and installed it EXACTLY as it would have been pre-hardware issue. Turns out, I'm getting the EXACT same error after I complete the system restore!

Because of my extensive searching, I've tried all of the little hints and tricks that people all over the internet recommend...like running chkdsk /f, or renaming X driver file...you name it, I've probably tried it. Thing is, none of these suggestions has helped me find the issue.

Am I to believe that I can't restore my computer when the computer itself is EXACTLY the same as before? Someone has to have the answer to this?? I realize at this point that the error is not with crcdisk.sys but rather some driver beyond that system process. Does anyone know how to debug and find out exactly what is stopping my system restoration?

Please help!
    Friday, January 9, 2009 7:41 AM

Answers

• OK, well...I don't even know how to explain this...I'm writing this from the computer in question. So here is the deal...after trying MANY different configurations I settled on one particular BIOS setting, and you will never guess what it was.

As it turns out when I disabled the 2nd Onboard NIC card...the system booted right into Vista like nothing had ever happend. From what I can tell that NIC card is functioning 100% and there is absolutly no particular reason for this. It was never set as a boot device, or even plugged in for that matter. 

Just to follow-up on a few of the previous questions:

Vista x86 installation
    Nvidia 680i Chipset
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
    Two Western Digital 74GB Raptor drives in RAID 0

Please continue with any questions...I am at a total loss. I may continue testing just to figure this out.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    it's all about drivers I assume.
    Although you are a bit unclear in your description, but I think you have a client with a RAID 0 array which you wish to restore?
    How far do you come in the restore process, does the error already happen while booting into the recovery environment or if you try to boot the restored system (which OS?)?
    Hardware or software RAID?
    RAID 0 is a difficult thing. Not only because it kills the entire array, if one disk breaks - and this for a little bit more performance. If the driver or the controller bios expects certain disks in the arrray and has this information hardcoded somewhere in the OS you wish to boot, this could be the reason, why booting fails.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 9:51 AM
  • I like your answer...it doesn't solve the problem, but it confirms a particular thought that I had. Let me try to be more clear...

The restore works perfectly (booting from the WHS restore disk). Once the drive is restored (in this case a RAID 0 array) it boots as it once did, however it hangs at the loading bar graphic. Apon restarting in Safe Mode you are lead to believe that the crcdisk.sys check is failing. Again, I realize it is a driver...however I don't know how to identify which one.

I'm using a hardware raid which is embeded on the motherboard...it's an Nvidia 680i chipset, Asus P5N32-E SLI. I believe that is a Promise controller. The replacement drive is actually the same exact model as my previous...Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD but obviously it has a different serial number.

I'd love to know how you could do a more extensive debug boot so that I could identify the faulty driver. If I could pull that driver out of the OS or replace it...it is possible I could get it restored.

I think I need Mark Russinovich to come to my house!

Again...any help is great!!
    Friday, January 9, 2009 11:34 PM
  • Hi again,
    you still did not mention the operating system which you restored.
    If it is Windows XP I would recommend to try a repair installation, if it is Vista, can the startup repair if booting from Vista DVD help you?
    I remember I have read in the past about difficulties restore to RAID volumes - but this was usually already during the restore process.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Aparently I can't seem to get my posts right either :).

I'm restoring a Vista OS, and I've tried to use the Vista PE to fix the issue. The automated repair says This issue cannot be fixed do you want to submit it to Microsoft? On top of that any manual repair measures I've tried seem to have no effect. 

I've read that the issue could have something to do with the USB bus, so I'm going to disable that at the BIOS level tonight and see if that gets me any further. Thank you for the continued suggestions. 

Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:07 AM
  • Searching for similar restores in Google (not only with WHS) it seems to be a widespread problem with RAID configurations.
    Some people had issues with attached USB drives, others with buggy Bios versions, which caused the drives to enumerate wrong if a bootable DVD was or was not in drive.
    Also installed drivers on the systems had a good share of causing issues.
    I found this thread very interesting in this context.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:33 AM

• Which Vista (x86 or x64)?  I will note I had a horrible time trying to get nVidia RAID0 working with Vista x64.  Horrible enough that I simply gave up and have come to the conclusion that nVidia RAID will not work with Vista x64.  My motherboard is different (uses nVidia 590 AMD chipset), so your mileage may vary.  This is using a straight install, not trying to restore.  I was able to use the exact same motherboard w/ RAID using Vista x86.

"Apon restarting in Safe Mode", I'm guessing you can reboot in safe mode?  If so, you may want to try and uninstall all hardware drivers (any IDE/RAID drivers you may have installed) and seeing if it'll reboot properly.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:51 AM
  • OK, well...I don't even know how to explain this...I'm writing this from the computer in question. So here is the deal...after trying MANY different configurations I settled on one particular BIOS setting, and you will never guess what it was.

As it turns out when I disabled the 2nd Onboard NIC card...the system booted right into Vista like nothing had ever happend. From what I can tell that NIC card is functioning 100% and there is absolutly no particular reason for this. It was never set as a boot device, or even plugged in for that matter. 

Just to follow-up on a few of the previous questions:

Vista x86 installation
    Nvidia 680i Chipset
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
    Two Western Digital 74GB Raptor drives in RAID 0

Please continue with any questions...I am at a total loss. I may continue testing just to figure this out.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Hi,
    great, that you got it to work and thanks for reporting the reason back.
    Although many boards support booting from network I would never have seen an enabled ut not connected network adapter as cause for a a system not to boot at all, as long as the original boot device is set properly and the first in the sequence, which is able to boot. Since you used the same hardware basically and did not change any Bios settings before (at least none, that you mentioned here), this is indeed strange. Maybe just another of these bugs, why NVidia chipsets are no longer seen as performant AND reliable in the reception.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Again, thank you for all of your help. This particular board has an option to use the lan boot rom. Surprisingly in my testing, I've actually checked that option and the computer still boots perfectly fine. It truely is just the secondary NIC card that is stopping me. 

Additionally, I've wondered if the Virtual NIC that my Cicso VPN adapter installs could be a culprit. That could at least explain a particular driver issue on boot...but not much more.

Well, I'm glad to have my machine back, but I would like to figure out exactly what happened. :)

Thanks again!!
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:11 PM