How to setup a client that has two disks encrypted (using Truecrypt 7.0a) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have setup WHS 2011 on my HP Proliant Microserver and am now setting up my clients. My business laptop runs Windows 7 Pro and has both disks encrypted by Truecrypt 7.0a. I can see the system disk (a SSD) however I can't see the second disk (a non system disk) when setting up the backup on the WHS dashboard. I understand there is a limitation of Truecrypt that is doesn't support the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service on non system disks but was wondering if anyone has found a way round this?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:36 PM

Answers

• I have setup WHS 2011 on my HP Proliant Microserver and am now setting up my clients. My business laptop runs Windows 7 Pro and has both disks encrypted by Truecrypt 7.0a. I can see the system disk (a SSD) however I can't see the second disk (a non system disk) when setting up the backup on the WHS dashboard. I understand there is a limitation of Truecrypt that is doesn't support the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service on non system disks but was wondering if anyone has found a way round this?

VSS is required for Windows Home Server backup to work. If it's not supported on a volume, backup won't work on that volume, and there is no workaround, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't really recommend trying to back up the underlying disk (which is where Phil's question is probably going); first it's probably going to appear to be completely full to the OS, and a certain amount of free space is required to be able to back up a disk, and second, it's possible that significant (large) amounts of data will appear to change for relatively small actual changes, depending on how TrueCrype works. This will defeat the block level SIS storage the backup database uses for efficiency.

If your employer is sufficiently concerned about data security that they require encryption of data disks, it might be best not to back that computer up anyway, given that data that's unencrypted when read will be backed up in that unencrypted state.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RandyC4 Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:33 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:00 PM

All replies

• What happens if you mount your encrypted non-system disk - do you see the mounted drive letter in WHS2011?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 7:47 PM
  • I have setup WHS 2011 on my HP Proliant Microserver and am now setting up my clients. My business laptop runs Windows 7 Pro and has both disks encrypted by Truecrypt 7.0a. I can see the system disk (a SSD) however I can't see the second disk (a non system disk) when setting up the backup on the WHS dashboard. I understand there is a limitation of Truecrypt that is doesn't support the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service on non system disks but was wondering if anyone has found a way round this?

VSS is required for Windows Home Server backup to work. If it's not supported on a volume, backup won't work on that volume, and there is no workaround, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't really recommend trying to back up the underlying disk (which is where Phil's question is probably going); first it's probably going to appear to be completely full to the OS, and a certain amount of free space is required to be able to back up a disk, and second, it's possible that significant (large) amounts of data will appear to change for relatively small actual changes, depending on how TrueCrype works. This will defeat the block level SIS storage the backup database uses for efficiency.

If your employer is sufficiently concerned about data security that they require encryption of data disks, it might be best not to back that computer up anyway, given that data that's unencrypted when read will be backed up in that unencrypted state.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by RandyC4 Saturday, August 13, 2011 11:33 PM
    Friday, August 12, 2011 8:00 PM