none
Advise on Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Seeking advise / opinions from my fellow industry people on best course of action.

I am MCTS 70-462: SQL Server 2008 Implementation and Maintenance certified. Was planning to go to MCIPT, which requires me to take 70-450. However, with the exam retiring in January 2014; I wonder if there's any value in pursuing that path. What are your opinions on that?

2ndly, it looks like I'll need to take at least 3 exams to get to MCSA 2012 with either path:

Path 1: Exams 70-448, 70-457, 70-458

Path 2: Exams 70-461, 70-462, 70-463

1) Is that correct?

2) What do you guys think is the better path? And why?

Thanks for any opinions / ideas.

Monday, August 12, 2013 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't see were your first path comes from. The second path looks similar to this one. In my opinion it makes no difference if you go for a MCSA or a MCITP. The MCITP will not lose any value after its retirement, because SQL Server 2008 will be present in many companies for years. If your looking for up-to-date certifications you should go for the MCSA certification.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:36 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I don't see were your first path comes from. The second path looks similar to this one. In my opinion it makes no difference if you go for a MCSA or a MCITP. The MCITP will not lose any value after its retirement, because SQL Server 2008 will be present in many companies for years. If your looking for up-to-date certifications you should go for the MCSA certification.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:36 AM
    Answerer
  • I don't see were your first path comes from.

JLIM2013 has mis-typed his message. He meant to reference 70-432, which is the first of two exams for the MCITP: Database Administrator. The second exam is 70-450, Designing, Optimizing, and Maintaining (using SQL2008), which expires on Jan 31, 2014.

I think the real question here is how well prepared you already are for the 70-450, and how much actual experience you have with SQL Server 2008. Also, how much do you expect to work with SQL Server 2008 in the next five years, as opposed to SQL Server 2012.

If your primary focus will be on SQL Server 2012, then it may be better to invest the "learning time" in the product you'll actually be working with (so as to be a better DBA), and prepare for the exams on the product you have real-world experience with. No point in wasting time on learning a product you won't actually be working with.

However, if your only exposure to SQL2012 is in the lab, and your work experience will continue to be with SQL2008, then I'd say it would be better to prepare for the SQL2008 exam and get the cert that documents your real-world experience, and will have some value to the work you will be doing.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Monday, August 19, 2013 8:56 PM