Client backups fail to complete with 1% and client server service stopped RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I set up WHS 2011 on a new SSD drive. After installation I moved all shared folders onto my secondary drive, a SATA drive. The SSD ist intended for the OS and some programs only.

When I want to backup my machines, they never complete successfully. Mostly, they stop at 1%, after that I discover in services.msc that the client backup service isn't running anymore. When I look at the dashboard, my computers are listed with "Backup status not set up" or "unknown", although I did this before.

What could be the problem? No problems before with WHS on a SATA drive, problem occured with this SSD drive.

Friday, September 9, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• It's a bit of an overkill using an SSD for a WHS Server - it might be better used elsewhere. Having said that, there is no fundamental reason why it should not work. Did you do a clean install on a blank disk or did you do some form of cloning from your other SATA disk? What is the size of your SSD?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Yes, I know!... but it's running faster now...

It's a 120GB, and I did a clean install, 3 times already (always a clean install).

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:10 AM
  • Then that's likely to be your problem (not sure how you managed to install when you do not meet the minimum hardware requirement):

System Requirements:

• 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
    • 2 GB RAM
    • At least one 160 GB hard drive.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:16 AM
  • I managed with using an USB stick with a cfg.ini file on it, whit this contents:

[WinPE]
    ConfigDisk=1
    CheckReqs=0
    WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:24 AM
  • So you told it not to check for the minimum requirement - at your risk and is probably the cause of your problem.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:36 AM
  • Yes, that's true, but in a Home Server Forum I read from different people who got to work this solution successfully...
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:38 AM