Moving disks from DIY WHS to HP MHS EX490 RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this is a FAQ, but I can't find it anywhere.  I have a DIY WHS that I put together with parts I had in hand, and it has worked fairly well.  However it is a bit pokey and the price of the 1TB HP EX490 has fallen enough to make it attractive, so I have one on order.  What I'm unsure about is whether I will need to do a server reinstall on the EX490 in order to have my disks from the old server recognized in the new server.  Any tips or pointers to previous articles would be appreciated.  I have found an article of someone doing the opposite (HP MSS => DIY), but that required a server install as part of building it, so I'm still not sure if it is necessary.  I'm willing to do it, but if I can just "pop in" the three disks in my old server, that would of course be even better. =)
    Friday, October 1, 2010 1:49 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of the fact that I could have both servers on the same gigabit switch and copy the data from old to new.  I have an 80 gig, 1 TB and a 1.5 TB in the old server and a 1TB in the new server.  So the strategy would probably be:

1. Copy ~750gb of data from the old server to the new server
    2. Turn off duplication on the old server, and remove the 1 TB drive
    3. Let the old server migrate everything to the remaining 1.5 TB drive overnight
    4. Take the 1TB drive out of the old server, put it in the new server and initialize it and add it to the pool
    5. Copy the remaining data on the old server to the new server
    6. Take the 1.5 TB drive out of the old server, put it in the new server, initialize it and turn duplication back on
    A bit convoluted, but better than a server reinstall, which I understand is a bit of netboot voodoo on the EX490.
    Yep, sounds good to me.
    • Marked as answer by Jeramia Saturday, October 2, 2010 7:36 AM
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:16 AM

All replies

• I apologize if this is a FAQ, but I can't find it anywhere.  I have a DIY WHS that I put together with parts I had in hand, and it has worked fairly well.  However it is a bit pokey and the price of the 1TB HP EX490 has fallen enough to make it attractive, so I have one on order.  What I'm unsure about is whether I will need to do a server reinstall on the EX490 in order to have my disks from the old server recognized in the new server.  Any tips or pointers to previous articles would be appreciated.  I have found an article of someone doing the opposite (HP MSS => DIY), but that required a server install as part of building it, so I'm still not sure if it is necessary.  I'm willing to do it, but if I can just "pop in" the three disks in my old server, that would of course be even better. =)
    The best (and safest) method would be to connect each drive to a client and copy the data to the server through the shares.  Then, once a drive has had everything copied from it, add it to the storage pool on the server.  While you could try a Server Recovery in this case, I don't think I would do it if it was me.  (And you can't just connect the drives to the new server and have them "just work".  In that case, you would have to add them to the storage pool, which automatically formats them when you do that.)
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of the fact that I could have both servers on the same gigabit switch and copy the data from old to new.  I have an 80 gig, 1 TB and a 1.5 TB in the old server and a 1TB in the new server.  So the strategy would probably be:

3. Let the old server migrate everything to the remaining 1.5 TB drive overnight
    4. Take the 1TB drive out of the old server, put it in the new server and initialize it and add it to the pool
    6. Take the 1.5 TB drive out of the old server, put it in the new server, initialize it and turn duplication back on
    A bit convoluted, but better than a server reinstall, which I understand is a bit of netboot voodoo on the EX490.

Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:11 AM

Yep, sounds good to me.
    • Marked as answer by Jeramia Saturday, October 2, 2010 7:36 AM
    Saturday, October 2, 2010 4:16 AM