Can't restore back up without non existent password - help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I know from this forum that others have had similar problems, but I can't seem to find my way around the forum and have never located the 'sticky' message 'at the start of this forum' wherever that is!

In 2014 I started using MS Money which I downloaded free from the internet. I now have nearly 2 years worth of critically important data, and given making regular backups and saving numerous copies I thought I was pretty safe. However, after my 18 month old lap top died, I've just had to migrate everything to a new PC. I have what I believe to be the latest UK version of Money (2005) installed on my new PC but I can't restore my back up because the programme demands I enter a password - but my MS Money files were not password protected. I've seen an answer advising that the solution is to install a newer version than 2000 - but since I already have 2005 and still have the problem, this obviously isn't a solution for me. This is all very distressing and I'd very much appreciate any possible help - but please, it needs to be simple as I'm no tech wizard. Thanks F

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:07 PM

All replies

• The link for downloads is the first "sticky" thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Your installation of UK Money 2005 on your new computer should be version 14.0.150.1105.  You can check the version of your current installation by opening the Sample.mny file and doing help>About.

Money will sometimes give a password error message if you try to open your Money file with a version of Money that is different from the version used to create the Money file.  That could happen if you actually created your Money file with one of the other versions available for download in that link.  If you think that it is possible that you actually created your Money.mny file with, for example, US Money Plus Sunset, then you could try uninstalling Money UK 2005 and installing US Money Plus Sunset.

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:18 PM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Hello Bill, sorry it's taken me so long to come back and say thank you! I had some problems following your advice as I could not find/access any Help/about in my Sample.mny file - no idea why. Anyway, I had to try your advice the long way i.e. in the event I downloaded, installed and uninstalled four versions before finally getting the right one which was the sunset Money Plus Home and Business. I think that my problems were confounded by the fact that I live in France, so on some occasions, even though I was specifically identifying English versions, I ended up with versions in French language. I saw some advice elsewhere about it being a good idea to save a copy of the downloaded file in case I need to swap PCs again in the future. However, I'm not sure how to do that. If you could point me to any instructions, that would be much appreciated.

F

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Good to hear that you have Money up and working!

To be sure that you can continue to use Money, I suggest that you copy these two files to a USB flash drive:

- the USMoneyBizSunset.exe file that you downloaded.  You can use this to install Money on a new computer.

- the patched mnyob99.dll file for US Money H&B that is available from a link at:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

You need to replace your current mnyob99.dll file with the patched mnyob99.dll if you upgrade to Windows 10.   But it's a good idea to apply it on your current system also.  Instructions on how to do this are at:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2012/12/02/windows-8-64-bit-version-compatibility-with-sunset-money/

It's also a really good idea to keep multiple backups of your Money file with at least one of them on a flash drive.  In Money Plus go to Tools>Settings>Backup Settings and set up to:

- save a backup on your computer every time you close Money.  Depending on your activity you can save, say, the last 10 or so.  Having more than one backup gives you a way to go "back in time" if you Money file should become corrupted and you don't notice it right away.

- save a Scheduled backup to that USB flash drive every few days or so.  Keep that drive in a safe place!  You will need it if your computer's hard drive fails. You may want to have more than one flash drive so that you can keep one plugged into your computer for the scheduled backup and the other stored safely. Then swap them every week or two.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:22 PM