Are bulk updates to the portfolio feasible in this scenario with PS 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Here is a real-world business request:

Given Excel worksheets listing more than 650 work packages distributed in over a hundred projects, please update the status field as specified. Do not disrupt current users or resort to "all hands on deck" manual opening of each project. Please complete within two days during the business week.

Details: Status is equivalent to a populated enterprise lookup list. Updating means changing status from (say) "projected" to "planned." Each identified work package has about a dozen summary tasks and 20-to-50 additional working tasks that are not listed explicitly in the Excel worksheets. Status must update for all of these child tasks, not just each identified work package. If any project is currently checked out and requires a change, it must be included before the bulk update assignment is complete.

My questions for those with hands-on MSPS 2010 experience:

1. How much technical proficiency is required to perform this assignment?

2. Can the work be done with reasonable quickness, including validation of the results?

3 Is such bulk update work involving PS 2010 sufficiently routine to perform multiple times per year without engaging programmers afresh on each request?

Thanks kindly for your comments.

--John

Friday, December 17, 2010 4:31 PM

Answers

• John:

Significant developer proficiency with the PSI using Impersonation

2. Can the work be done with reasonable quickness, including validation of the results?

One man's "reasonable quickness" is another man's "eternity." I'll avoid foot-in-mouth on this one. :)

3 Is such bulk update work involving PS 2010 sufficiently routine to perform multiple times per year without engaging programmers afresh on each request?

If the service is well-written and tested, I don't see why not. My only comment is that the service would need to gain access to checked-out files by checking them in prgramatically, so you'll need to frame this with some amount of business process.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:33 PM

All replies

• John:

Significant developer proficiency with the PSI using Impersonation

One man's "reasonable quickness" is another man's "eternity." I'll avoid foot-in-mouth on this one. :)

If the service is well-written and tested, I don't see why not. My only comment is that the service would need to gain access to checked-out files by checking them in prgramatically, so you'll need to frame this with some amount of business process.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, December 17, 2010 10:33 PM
  • Gary,

I'll learn more about Impersonation, which is new for me.

Your're helping me understand more clearly how Project Server requires talented technical collaboration for achieving bulk data changes across multiple projects. 

For businesses with changing project management requirements, MS Project Server's inherent complexity (e.g., five synchronized databases in one PS 2010 instance) needs highly proficient technical consultants to bring about even modest bulk revisions that go beyond "out of the box" functionality.

On the plus side, an experienced, proficient programming expert can extend Project Server substantially. Addressing business change in this manner also creates ongoing, revenue-generating workstreams for consultants to support evolving business processes. That is not necessarily a bad situation, just the way matters are.

Business decision makers may not be in position to articulate bulk data changes until a specific need arises. Frequently such occasions are time sensitive, so quick availability of technical consultants is another support consideration. If this is not possible, an alternative is "all hands on deck" project managers party to make revisions manually.

When business processes stay aligned with the way Microsoft has designed MS Project (as well as Project Server), much of the technical deployment activity appears to be early in the application life cycle. In this scenario, ongoing programming support is relatively modest and acceptable overall. Going beyond the way Project Server works--bulk updates in this case--calls for competent technical collaboration.

Is my assessment reasonably on target or have I missed something?

Thanks again, Gary.

--John 

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:01 PM