product key RRS feed

• Question

• can any one help me here? i had installed vista home premium 32 bit all workd fine untill recent update i noticed gameguard being installd why i dont know i susppect from the microsoft update .. shortly after my system lockd, and ask for my product key once i enterd the key it says key is invalid ... i tried several times with no luck any help please......  

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hello Daniel,

1) I believe I can safely say there are No Microsoft Updates that install GameGuard.

2) The old Vista incompatible version of GameGuard caused a Mod-Auth tamper in Vista. While in a Mod-Auth tamper, Vista does not ask for a Product Key. (i.e. GameGuard had nothing to do with your current issue)

3) Have you tried the Activate by Phone method? If not, please follow the steps below:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Hey thanks Darin but thats not gonna help me .. ive clean installed twice due to this issue' i can get the slui to open but when i enter my product key from the sticker it says invalid ' also it does not match the key on the system, it wont let me change it and ive already validated this program so it is genuine , my system now shows automatic activation in 1 day , am i gonna get lockd from windows again?

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:51 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

You do not appear to actually want my help as you insist in running commands that a) I have not asked you to use, b) are keeping your Diagnostic Report from providing the error codes that can tell me what (if any) issue is occuring and c) may be harmfull to your Vista in it's particular state.

I also notice in your original post that you state that you installed this Vista, yourself. But I also see that your Diagnostic Report shows "Windows License Type: OEM SLP". This License type can Only be found for Vista that came pre-installed on a computer that was built by a Large Computer Manufacturer (such as dell, HP..so on). So what you say and what is shown in the report are mutually exlusive. To put it simply, there is no such thing as a user installed OEM SLP Vista.

I can provide you two options:

1) When Vista is Actually experiancing an issue, create a new thread and post an updated Diagnostic Report and a Clear description of what is Actually happening (not a description what you have done). If you decide to choose this option, you must agree not to haphazardly run random licensing commands while I am troubleshooting your issue and in addition, you must clearly explain how and where you obtained this Vista.

or

2) Create a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for further assistance. Note: since your vista is not, currently, experiancing any issue, I do not believe they can be any more help then I.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hello Daniel,

1) I believe I can safely say there are No Microsoft Updates that install GameGuard.

2) The old Vista incompatible version of GameGuard caused a Mod-Auth tamper in Vista. While in a Mod-Auth tamper, Vista does not ask for a Product Key. (i.e. GameGuard had nothing to do with your current issue)

3) Have you tried the Activate by Phone method? If not, please follow the steps below:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Hey thanks Darin but thats not gonna help me .. ive clean installed twice due to this issue' i can get the slui to open but when i enter my product key from the sticker it says invalid ' also it does not match the key on the system, it wont let me change it and ive already validated this program so it is genuine , my system now shows automatic activation in 1 day , am i gonna get lockd from windows again?

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:51 AM
  •  

Hi Daniel,

My mistake, I had thought you had already entered the product key (from the sticker) in Vitsa successfully.

Steps to get you to the Change Product Key window is to:

1) Click the Start button

2) Type: slui.exe 3 and hit the Enter key

3) Type in the Product key from the sticker on your computer

4) Click the Next button.

5) You will be asked if want to Activate, click ok

6) It will attempt to Activate by the internet and will return an Invalid Key error (this is ok, continue to step 7)

7) Click the Start button

8) Type: slui.exe 4 and hit the Enter key

9) Select your location in the drop down menu and click the Next button

10) The next screen provides the number to call to Activate by Phone

NOTE: when you call that number, you will first hear an Automated Voice that will try to Activate Vista for you. If the Automated Voice gives you an option to talk to a Live Activation Rep, select that option. If not, do not enter any numbers. This should force the Automated Voice to transfer you to a Live Activation Rep. Trying to Activate thru the Automated Voice will not work, in your case, only thru the Live Activation Rep will your Activation be successful.

Once completed, you may need to reboot twice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above doesn't work, try these more advanced steps:

1) Open an Internet Browser

2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the address field

3) Find the file cmd.exe

4) Right-Click on cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator

5) Type: cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (replace x's with the Product key from the sticker)

6) Hit the Enter key

7) Reboot 2 times

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Friday, January 11, 2008 1:06 AM
  • well im about to give up on vista and go back to xp ive tried your options and they did nothen ive tried calling microsoft and got ran around talkd to 4 different ppl and they told me to call my pc manf. when the problem lies in microsoft, i offerd to give them my product key # they said no they want a diff # but they couldnt tell me how to acheive this ## then askd for a # on my install cd  after all wasted time , i hope you ppl online are much better advisers then the microsoft phone ops oh and that had no supervisors on duty?!

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:57 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Would you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.

2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.

3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run

4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.

5) Return to this thread by Typing: http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2655273&SiteID=25 into the browser address bar.

6) In a reply post, Paste the Diagnostic Report.

This will give me a better idea of what the issue may be.

Thanks,

Darin

Friday, January 11, 2008 9:12 PM
  •  

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Cached Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3RBY2-BGQ2R-DR9M6
    Windows Product Key Hash: EYIpz/47G03lWRAOmk3kg+lR7Rc=
    Windows Product ID: 89578-OEM-7332157-00141
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {1A839C33-C08C-41E2-A806-A2406FFD44A9}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.071009-1548
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1A839C33-C08C-41E2-A806-A2406FFD44A9}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.003</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-DR9M6</PKey><PID>89578-OEM-7332157-00141</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3989353558-807262942-3626369574</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Presario</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686P9 v1.04</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20011114000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4A303507018400DE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

note: the product key is incorrect.....

Saturday, January 12, 2008 7:07 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I was under the weather the last couple of days.

Ok, first off, Your Vista looks good. Genuine and no error codes. You last told me that Vista wanted you to Validate within the next couple of days. What has happened now that a couple days have passed?

Darin

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 9:23 PM
  •  

hi darin the automatic update just changed to 5 more days  and i ran slmgr -xpr and it returns saying activate by 1-24 so i take it i got till the 24th be for i have to clean install again and lose everything again. i also heard if i run this command sysprep /generalize i can extend it another 30 days but works only 3 times? well hopefully i can get this resolved b4 the 24th if not im goen back to xp.
    Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:57 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

There seems to be a communication gap between us.

a) What do you mean by "automatic update just changed to 5 more days"? Automatic Updates has no relationship with Product Activation. Please explain.

b) "ran slmgr -xpr and it returns saying activate by 1-24 so i take it i got till the 24th"  If you do not run the command slmgr -xpr, what error is Vista actually telling you (be exact)?

c) The command sysprep /generalize is not meant for the purpose you are using it. (please see http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/fd2f79c9-3049-4b8c-bcfd-4e6dc5771ace1033.mspx?mfr=true for the true use for this command).  For end-users, the command 'slmgr -rearm' will reset the 30day activation grace time and it also, can only be use 3 times.

Currently, your Vista looks fine, so if Vista is actively asking to be reactivated, them please right-click on Computer and select Properties. Click "Change product key" and enter the Product Key from the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer. Once this is done, you will need to activate by phone and talk to a Live Activation Rep.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:20 PM
  • hey darin yea sorry the links i get in my email dont retun me to this post says its been merged or deleted anyway i had to find it ok  .. the automatic thing is to automaticly try activating vista i assume, it went from 12 days to 0 then just reset to 5 obviusly bcuz it wont activate .. also when i try to change the product key it says invalid key and doesnt go thru so i did some research and found those other options so i dont have to clean install again ,, vista isnt showing any errors at this time but this error happnd last time and windows lockd thats what brought me here ....i ran slmgr -xpr and like i said it says activate by 1-24-08 ,at 5:06am ,, and i already tried calling they didnt help me as i earlier stated! ..so i guess ill repost tomarro to let u know if my windows did lock ..

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:58 AM
  •  

update : i extended my activation time  with skiprearm ,now slmgr -xpr says activate by 2-8-08 and the automatic avtivation went up to 3 more days after stateing i must activate by today.from what ive read skiprearm shoulda exteneded it 30 days but i only got an extra 2weeks . i was gonna wait till my activation deadline to see if windows would lock but im sure it will and i have files that need to be copied b4 i lose them.... also darin i told you i could get lockd out of my windows and possibly lose all my important files , why didnt you offer this option to me ? till this problem is solved or resolved , do you not know about skiprearm registry edit ?? anyway this is only buying me time so any other help is greatly appreciated thanx darin...
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Hello Daniel,

You do not appear to actually want my help as you insist in running commands that a) I have not asked you to use, b) are keeping your Diagnostic Report from providing the error codes that can tell me what (if any) issue is occuring and c) may be harmfull to your Vista in it's particular state.

I also notice in your original post that you state that you installed this Vista, yourself. But I also see that your Diagnostic Report shows "Windows License Type: OEM SLP". This License type can Only be found for Vista that came pre-installed on a computer that was built by a Large Computer Manufacturer (such as dell, HP..so on). So what you say and what is shown in the report are mutually exlusive. To put it simply, there is no such thing as a user installed OEM SLP Vista.

I can provide you two options:

1) When Vista is Actually experiancing an issue, create a new thread and post an updated Diagnostic Report and a Clear description of what is Actually happening (not a description what you have done). If you decide to choose this option, you must agree not to haphazardly run random licensing commands while I am troubleshooting your issue and in addition, you must clearly explain how and where you obtained this Vista.

or

2) Create a (no cost) support request at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52029 for further assistance. Note: since your vista is not, currently, experiancing any issue, I do not believe they can be any more help then I.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:54 PM